Chapter 21

Nandini's POV:

A sharp stinging pain in the sides of my head remained with me for the rest of the night. My body was numb except for my eyes which didn't move much from the tiredness.

It was four in the morning and I somehow dragged myself to the washroom. I leaned on the sink and watched my reflection in the mirror. My eyes were red and puffy from crying.
I tried the best not to cry but the feeling of betrayal and loss ate me from the inside. Now I felt empty.

I had eye bags due to the lack of sleep and my hair was a complete mess.
I splashed the cold water on my face letting all the emotions go for once.
I wiped my face, came back to the room and checked my phone.

I had some missed calls from Kabir and a few from his friends but neither of them were after 12:30am. That means the party had started. I opened Instagram and found pictures of last night flooding the feed.
Seems like they had fun.

There were videos of all the collage friends and colleagues dancing, cake on their faces, cups in their hands.
Cheerful and joyous. No regrets on any of the faces, not even on his. The pictures spoke that there was nothing more they needed. They had everything; the power, the freedom, the spirit, enough to not notice my absence.

I looked at the pictures for a while when I realised; all of them were his friends. I was just a part of the group.
Now I really didn't have someone to rely on. Except Maxi.

I texted her to meet me later this morning. I cannot stay in this hotel for long and I'll have to find a place before New Year, at least. Christmas was in two days and I had lost all the spirit.

I set an alarm and went to sleep. I didn't want to look bad or let it affect me during my work hours.

A few hours later I woke up. A bit fresh this time. I gathered my stuff and untangled my hair tips. I brushed my teeth and changed my clothes to comfortable one I kept in my emergency supplies kit.

I checked out from the hotel and got in the car. I drove to the nearest tea stall so at least I could have my breakfast. My mind rushed back to yesterday and everything flashed in front of my eyes again.

I still couldn't believe what ever happened. Maybe it was all a bad dream and I should go back. But if it was so, I would have got at least one call from there, what I called home.

The warm tea sip calmed me and relaxed my over thinking brain. It was just eight in the morning and I didn't want to go to Maxi so early but at least I have to inform her.
I received a text from her.

From: My Harrie Girl

What happened honey? Is everything alright? Why did you text so early? Didn't you sleep? Was the party good?

From: My Harrie Girl

Okay I'll let you come here first. M waitinggg.

It's strange how the people you've known from years are with you because they had just been there but when you leave them, it's actually like you didn't know them at all.
And people you met a while ago becomes your closest.

I finished my breakfast, payed for it and drove off to see Maxi. It took me a few minutes to reach since the road was empty due to cold and holiday season.

I parked my car near the orphanage and got in without making any noise. I didn't want anyone to know anything about it.

I quietly stepped in and knocked softly at her door. She peep her face out and gave a little smile and opened the door wide to let me in.

"Now without any delay you're telling me what happened." She asked as soon as I stepped in and she shut the door.

"Alright, here it is. I left home." I let out the breath I was holding and witnessed her eyes go wide.

Harry's POV:

We had packed everything we would need on this trip and specially the gifts.

Gemma had a separate bag for them.
Mum was really excited to meet everyone so was I. I didn't receive any text or calls from her from two days. Maybe because she was busy and it must be tiring to handle the party alone.

It was late night and I had got few messages from Camille expressing her concerns.

I didn't answer them. My eyelids were already heavy. I had meeting, then shopping, then I packed everything and then waited the night for Nandini's call or messages.
Finally I gave up and slept.

6am in the morning, my vibrating phone woke me up. I had a lot of messages from an unknown contact.
It was a number from India so I thought Nandini might have texted from another one.
But they weren't from her.

From: *Unknown*

Hello Harry this is Maxi. Remember me? I came to your concert with Nandini and I'm the caretaker at Mother's Care Orphanage.

From: *Unknown*

Well leave that. I wanted to inform you that Nandini had some troubles at home and she left and now she is with me.

From: *Unknown*

The main part is that she is really sad. And when I asked her to tell this to you she denied. So please don't let her know that I told you.

From: *Unknown*

I thought I must let you know because this was important. I'm helping her find a place right now so don't worry much. I'll keep you updated.

Nandini was.... sad? Why? And why isn't she telling me?
I decided to believe this girl and text her instead of calling. I saved her number and typed.

To: Maxi

Thank you so much for informing. Can you please tell me what exactly happened?

I waited for a reply but received a call instead. I picked it up.

"Hello?"

"Hey Harry. This is Maxi." Someone whispered from the other side.

"Yeah, why are you whispering?" I asked.

"Nandini is in the other room talking about the rent of the house we just found. I don't want her to know that you know." She said.

"Okay I get it. What happened to her? Why is she sad? And why did she leave?" I wanted to know it all.

"Listen this real quick she might come any moment. She had a fight with Kabir, you know him right?" I hummed.

"So, she had a fight and she told me that he spied on her and went through her things and later accused her of doing wrong. And when she spoke for herself, he raised his hand on-"

"WHAT DID HE DO!" My blood boiled when I listen to that.

"Calm down for a minute Harry. Let me complete first." She tried to suppress my voice. But how could I.

"How dare he do that! I am coming. I will not leave this guy." I threatened.

"Alright I know. I was equally angry but we have work to finish. So I was telling, she left the house and stayed in a hotel for the night and came to me in the morning and told me all this." She took a breath before continuing.

"Now we have found a house which she can rent until further planning and we will shift her things here as soon as possible. She told not to tell you or anyone about this because you might worry. And what were you saying about coming?" Her tone changed with the last line.

"I was coming to India to spend my Christmas with you guys but seems like there is a change of plans." I muttered.