Chapter 14

So you're friends by day, lovers by night thing has been going well for the past month but with mid semester assessments and stuff, things had gotten busy and you didn't have much time for each other anymore. You still talked and texted but it wasn't the same. The conversations were shorter and he was becoming your professor again. So you decided to do what most girls did when they're trying to get the attention of a teacher they like, they drop their grades. Your grades had been great all year, especially in English Lit which meant you were spending a lot more time on all your other subjects. Besides, you'd already finished your English papers, they were the first to be done, but Tom didn't know that. In order to pose as the student who needed help, you deliberately rewrote someone else's bad papers, edited it to your style and handed it in. Tom was shocked and led you to his room immediately after class, demanding to know who had actually written the paper. You explained that you had and that you needed help with this subject as you were pretty much passing everything else. Tom sighs and looks seriously at you, "I'll help you," he says finally, "but you'd better get your act together soon or you won't be 'playing' the needy student." His words hurt and his tone is sharp so you scowl at him but then you see how tired he is. The bags under his eyes, the tension in his shoulders, his usually bright eyes have simmered to a dull glow. "I'm sorry Tom." You apologise, the scowl wiped off your face. He just lowers his eyelids and nods. You notice the coffee mugs on the desk, "Tom? How long has it been since you had a proper nights sleep?" You ask now standing beside him.
"I don't know." He says burying his face in his hands.
"You need to get some sleep." You say gently, rubbing his shoulders.
"The girl's right Tom, go home and sleep." Says a voice from the door causing you both to look at the short, pudgy white haired man in the door way. You let go of Tom and take a step back, the man in the doorway is a university board member, a sort of principal of the school.