27 • The Heir Isn't Human After All

T h e  H e i r  I s n ' t  H u m a n  A f t e r  A l l
2 n d  P O V
1 2 / 2 6 / 1 9
• • •

   Your servo gripped Optimus' tightly and anxiously. He squeezed back as the two of you walked side by side down the streets of Detroit.

   The group was headed towards Sumdac tower, navigating the snowy sidewalks. A car drove by and sent sleet flying at them. You managed to use Bulkhead as a shield and stayed dry. Everyone groaned in frustration.

   "How do humans manage to survive in these fleshy bodies?" Ratchet questioned.

   "I dunno, but my fuel tank is makin' a funny noise," Bulkhead spoke up. He scratched his stomach.

   "Well, my fuel tanks are feeling a bit empty, so I think that means we oughta refuel before we keep going," you suggested. Fortunately, Burger Bot was practically down the street (partially because it was the only name of a refueling place any of you knew).

   You headed there, took a look at the menu, and ended up ordering similar things to whatever Sari ordered when the Bots took her there.  Burgers, soda, and fries. Save for Prowl, who got a salad. You stole bits and pieces when he wasn't looking, but was caught on your third attempt.

   Bulkhead nearly had an accident after he finished his burger and ran for the lavatory.

   You and Prowl had fun playing peek-a-boo with a baby across the room.

   "Awww, she's so cute!" You commented, giggling.

   "Peek-a-boo, I'm over here," Prowl said to the child.

   "You think she'd be laughing if you were a giant robot?" Ratchet grunted from the booth beside yours. His arm was slung over the side.

   "That's the point. Being human gives me a better sense of what this holiday season means. I'm . . . thankful to just be alive in any form." The ninja bot had paused his game as he spoke.

   You smiled at his words. "Me too Prowl," you responded, leaning into Optimus. He wrapped his arm around you, a smile growing on his own features. You continued, "I think this really puts things into perspective. Y'know, a day in the life of a human in Detroit, versus, a cybertronian." You sipped your fountain drink.

   Optimus kissed your hair. It was soft and smooth. He thought your game with the toddler was adorable. You seemed pretty good with human sparkling, even if all he had to go off of was that and your interactions with Sari. You were both an older sister and, at times, a sort of mother.

   "Well," Bulkhead burped as he sat back down at the booth, "I'm thankful too."

   A loud noise sounded outside. The bug glass windows of Burger Bot cracked. People were screaming, and it was getting louder.

   The team got to their feet and sprinted outside.

   "So much for a happy holiday," Bumblebee groaned.

   "Decepticons, attack!" Starscream shouted, firing his missiles at the city below him. The jets behind him did the same. Your team threw themselves to the ground so you wouldn't be hit.