10 • The Beloved Heir

T h e  B e l o v e d  H e i r
2 n d  P O V
6 / 1 6 / 1 9
• • •
A/N: Happy Pride month! Where all my pans at?? :D I went to Boston Pride, it was super awesome. You can see all the pictures on my Tumblr and Insta. Nothing really happens in this chapter, sorry :/
• • •

"Thanks again for taking me on this nature walk, Prowl," You said with a smile. "I really appreciate it." Your smile was nervous, even though you had no reason to be nervous. Anxiety seemed to have cemented itself under your armor over the millennia.

"There's no need to keep thanking me." You knew he didn't mean to sound annoyed, but you flinched anyways.

"I know," you said.

"Optimus doesn't even put up an argument, besides about who should go with you."

"I know . . . or at least, about that first part. What do you mean he argues about who should supervise me? Does he not trust me?" You asked the ninja bot worriedly. One of your servos reached up and held your cheek.

The two of you quietly (or about as quiet as you can get for your hulking frame) walked through the forest, careful not to bother the local wildlife. You listened to your pedes sweep through tall grass and flowers. You glanced at the light shining through tree leaves and spaces between branches. You smiled at the colorful and uniquely shaped leaves. You really liked these nature walks. You never wanted them to stop. You felt much freer outside the confines of the base. If only you could go into the sky and feel it too.

"It's not that he doesn't trust you, but he takes you often enough." The slim mech chose his words carefully. "You go with him quite often. The rest of the team needs time to get used to you too." You looked down at the tree roots digging into the earth on your right as you passed by.

Prowl did not lie. You and Optimus went on these walks quite frequently. The two of you spent much of it in a comfortable, understanding silence. Since your first walk outside, the two of you had found solace in one another. You felt calm around him. At the same time, you grew panicky when he did something even remotely nice for you, something that made your spark skip a beat and your face flush pink. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

The Prime was the one you enjoyed spending the most time with, as well as one of the few who would walk with you. Ratchet didn't take walks. Bee and Sari found them to be incredibly boring. Bulkhead offered and took you for a short one, but the silence between you had been awkward and deafening.

After a few moments of silence, you replied softly, "It's not like I have that many options."

You liked Prowl. You really did. Though he hadn't told you too many details of his past, you were more than aware that he had greatly changed as a person before arriving on Earth. He was still changing for the better. You like the nature documentaries you watched with him and his fascination with the organic world. However, you preferred Optimus' company. You liked the way Prowl made you happy, but you loved the way Optimus looked at you, and how he saved you from danger and touched his forehelm to yours in your dreams.

The Prime didn't always appear in your dreams, but it was rarely a nightmare when he did. They made it easier to recharge and not fear the raging nightmares that were still present.

"Y/N?"

"Hm?" You looked up from your zoned-out fixture on the ground. "Sorry. Just, um, lost in thought." Prowl nodded in understanding.