ch. xliii

in which i write another sort-of-filler chapter that i really have no excuses for.

:D

Forkle had given them the oh-so-pleasant job of breaking the news to the others. Something about helping ease the impact on both themselves and the others.

Dex just felt like it would push Linh and Biana deeper under. How did Forkle not see it? But he knew that they weren't going to be doing it alone, which was why he had volunteered to come along.

And right now? They were all in Everglen's living room, crammed together on the larger sofa as Fitz and Keefe sprawled across the smaller one and Sophie rocked anxiously back and forth in the only leftover armchair.

Keefe cleared his throat awkwardly. "Well...can we get on with it before Foster's worry makes me puke? Because it's going to be there pretty soon...just saying."

Sophie glared at him. "Oh, really."

"Yes really. Don't try denying it, Foster. We all know you're a champion at worrying."

"Ha-ha, Keefe. Stop-"

"Tam's dead." Linh cut in quietly, bringing the argument to a screeching halt. "No, this is not a prank."

All three of their faces morphed into identical expressions of shock. Keefe was the first one to shut his jaw, with an ashen look. "How? And why? Wait....how do all three of you know but we don't?"

"It was a disease," Biana mumbled. "And how we know is none of your business."

Fitz gave his sister a look. "Is that why you didn't come home last night?"

She seemed to wilt in place. "Yes. And I'm not saying anything else."

Fitz looked like he still wanted to ask more questions.

Linh raised her gaze from the carpet. "And the planting is tomorrow...I was hoping you all would come."

Of course they would come, they assured her. They wouldn't miss it for anything in the world.

Dex hadn't said anything after that, choosing to stare at the toes of his boots until Sophie calls his name.

"Could I talk to you in private, Dex?"

He couldn't exactly refuse. Which was why he wordlessly followed her into a small corridor leading off the main hall, towards what he assumed was a bathroom.

Sophie sighed, tapping her boot nervously against the floor. "I'm pretty sure what I'm about to ask is gonna sound a bit weird and more than a bit mean..."

"You want to know how Biana and I knew." It wasn't even a question. Dex knew how his best friend thought, and it was pretty easy by now to predict what was running through her head during moments like these.

Her mouth quirked upwards, but apart from that there were no obvious signs of surprise. "Well, yep. If you don't mind telling me, I'd like to hear it."

"I'm sorry, Sophie." And he really was. "But...it's not really my reason to tell." Telling Linh that his dad had had the disease was one thing...telling Sophie was a completely different one.

Sophie nodded. If she was disappointed, she hid it surprisingly well. "That's okay. I don't want to force you. But if you do feel like telling someone later, you can trust me."

Dex felt his lips curling into a soft smile. "Thanks. I really appreciate it."

And he did. More than he could show.

The next couple of chapters are going  to be like this too. Unless you want a planting right away?

(Even if the majority did, I wouldn't. I can't handle that level of angst right now.)