Craig McMorris: Dancing On My Own

I'm in the corner, watching you kiss her, ohh
I'm right over here, why can't you see me, ohh
I'm giving it my all, but I'm not the girl you're taking home

"Oh shit."  I accidentally say out loud.

"What?  What's wrong?"  Torstein asks me as he searches the room for what startled me. 

"Craig."  I say as I watch my ex-boyfriend walk into the club with a new girl on his arm. He has his arm glued around his waist.

"You knew he'd be here."  Torstein reminds me. 

"I knew he'd be here.  I just didn't know she'd be here."  I say as I try to tear my eyes away from Craig.  That should be me under his arm.  It was me just two weeks ago.  

"So he has a new girlfriend?  Who cares?  You're a pretty, smart, funny girl who doesn't need to worry about guys.  Just do your thing and ignore him."  Torstein tells me as I see Craig move into kiss his stunning girlfriend.

"You're right."  I say with a smirk as I finally look away from Craig.

"Uh oh.  I know that look."  Torstein says as he looks at me with concern.  I reach for a shot glass and throw one back.  I start reaching for another when Torstein says something.  "Should you be drinking this much?"

"It's just one more shot.  Relax and have a good time, Tor."  I tell him as I take the second shot.  I then get up from our table without another word.  I walk through the crowd and to the dance floor.  My favorite song is playing.  I start dancing.  I don't care who's watching.  I only want Craig's attention, but I know he doesn't care, so I just dance. 

I don't know how long I dance for or where Torstein is, but I feel good.  I feel happy.  I strut off the dance floor in search of a glass of water.  I bump into Craig on my way to the bar.

"Hey, y/n!"  He says to me. He seems genuinely happy to see me.

"Oh, hi!"  I say quickly.  I don't spend much time on him.  I'm thirsty and need water.  I just want to go back to dancing.

"I saw you on the dance on the floor."  Craig says with a smile, forcing me to continue talking to him.

"Oh really? Was I any good?"  I ask with a smirk.  So I did get Craig's attention.

"You were amazing.  You don't care and I like that."  Craig tells me.

"Yeah I don't care about a lot of things anymore." I say in reference to Craig.  I think he's slightly stung by this, which I like.  "So...I'm gonna go get some water.  Maybe I'll see you later."

"Maybe I'll see you on the dance floor." Craig says with a hopeful smile.  His smile almost draws me back in.  A half hour ago he was everything I wanted, but something has changed.  I suddenly don't need him anymore.  I like his attention, but I don't need it.

"Hopefully I won't."  I reply.  "Have fun with your girlfriend."

"Oh she's not my girlfriend..." Craig says instantly. 

"Yeah I don't care."  I tell him as I turn and walk away from him.  I can feel him watching me as I reach the bar. 

"There you are!"  Torstein says as he approaches the bar.  "Were you just talking to Craig?"

"Yupp."  I say as I chug a glass of water.

"How'd it go?"  Torstein asks me.

"It went great."  I say.  "Actually it was kind of horrible, but I'm over it.  I'm over him."

"Really?" Torstein questions.

"Now lets stop talking about this and lets go dance."  I say to Torstein as I grab his hand and drag him to the dance floor.

I'm just gonna dance all night
I'm all messed up, I'm so out of line
Stilettos and broken bottles
I'm spinning around in circles