Ulrik Badertscher: Meet The Friends

"Are you ready for this?" I ask Ulrik as we get out of his car.

"Why do you keep asking me that?" Ulrik says with a smile as he takes my hand. "Babe, I'm meeting your friends. I'll make them love me, don't even worry. I can be very charming, just you wait."

"I know you can, but some of them can be...judgey. I just want to warn you." I tell Ulrik as we walk up to the door of the party. He leans over and kisses my cheek.

"Everything will be fine, sweetheart." Ulrik assures me. I want to believe him, but he hasn't met these friends of mine. They have a reputation for being quite snobby.

"Y/n!" My friend Ashley greets as she answers the door. I give her a quick hug.

"Ashley, this is my boyfriend, Ulrik." I introduce. Ulrik shakes her hand like a perfect gentleman.

"It's so nice to meet you." Ashley says to Ulrik. "Come meet everybody else."

I hold tightly onto Ulrik's hand as we follow Ashley into the living room. Everyone introduces themselves and everything seems completely fine. Maybe Ulrik was right about all this.

"So Ulrik what do you do?" My friend Matt asks as we all lounge around the living room.

"I'm a snowboarder." Ulrik answers confidently.

"A snowboarder?" Matt asks with a look of confusion. "Like that's what you do for a living?"

"Yeah Ulrik is an amazing professional snowboarder." I say with admiration. My friends on the other hand do not seem impressed.

"How is that a career?" Ashley asks with the same look of confusion that Matt had.

"Umm well I compete at contests and win prize money. I also have sponsors and whatnot." Ulrik tries explaining, but my friends don't understand.

"Snowboarding seems like more of a hobby than a career. I mean you can't compete forever, right? It doesn't really seem like the responsible job choice." Matt says with a laugh. My others giggle at this as well.

"It's a hobby and a career." Ulrik adds.

"Don't listen to them, Ulrik. I'm sure snowboarding is great." Ashley says with a condescending tone. "I'm sure snowboarding is very...cool."

"You know what, I think we're going to go." I tell the group as I stand up from my chair.

"Oh don't leave, y/n. We were just messing around." Ashley says to with a stupid smile still on her face.

"No thanks. You guys are a bunch of assholes. Ulrik doesn't deserve this. I should never should have brought him around you guys." I say as I hold my hand out for Ulrik to take. Ulrik and I storm out of the party without saying another word.

"I'm sorry about them." I say to Ulrik once we get in the car.

"It's not a big deal. You warned me, right?" Ulrik says with a forced smile. I can tell he's kinda bummed out.

"I didn't know they'd be that rude. They just don't understand or like sports, but it's no excuse for them to behave that way." I tell him.

"No, I get it. I'm not all smart and studious like they are...like you are." Ulrik says quietly.

"I don't want to be like them. I want to be like you. You're brave and you're crazy and you're funny and you're good at everything...and you're really freaking attractive. I'd rather be like you than be like those stuck-up douchebags." I say. Ulrik leans over and kisses me.

"So you think I'm attractive?" Ulrik asks once our lips part. I gently push his chest.

"Is that all you got out of what I said?" I ask with a laugh.

"No, but it was my favorite part." Ulrik answers with a smile as he comes closer to kiss me again.