52: Different

Trigger warning: self-harm

Different

After crying for so long, letting out her suppressed emotions, she fell asleep in his arms. Sinbad felt her go limp in his hold so he took a peek and indeed saw her eyes closed, peacefully adrift.

He slowly shifted their position and had her head lie down on his lap. He was careful with her hair as to not tug at it since it might wake her up, disturbing her slumber.

Looking down at her peaceful face under the shade of the parasol that the lady was holding earlier, he smiled a bit. He closed his eyes, gently stroking her hair to lull her to sleep.

It was just like the old times they shared but now it has him taking care of her instead of the other way around.

"You sure have the nerve to assume such a position, King Sinbad."

A voice called out from behind him. He lift up the parasol he was holding to see who it was.

Aoren stood there his eyes slightly glaring but stood as if he's calm. He was eyeing him, expression stoic.

"My apologies, Lord Aoren but I can't just leave her like this. I know you will not believe me but I genuinely care about her, about your sister. I care for Yukiko."

"You dare say that after the hell you put her through? I will never forget about the pain you inflicted in her life. In her very soul." The young man clenched his fist. "Yet at this trying time, you are the only one she needs more than ever right now."

Sinbad look at him and saw him stare down in care at his sleeping sibling. He dared not to speak and just met his gaze head on.

After a brief silence, Aoren spoke.

"I will leave her with you for now. But do not, I repeat, DO NOT dare to do anything that will hurt her in any way imaginable, because I will completely forget whose land I am stepping on right now and bring down the hammer of revenge on you ."

Listening in on the conversation as an outsider, only knowing the basis of Aoren's tendencies and personality, one would assume that it was just an empty threat by an overprotective elder brother who won't give up his beloved sister, but Sinbad knew better. The person infront of him is not only standing before him as a brother to the female by his side, but a genuine royal and valiant soldier from the dragon country of the north, Xue.

"Understood."

A short and simple reply one might say, but that word alone carries a heavy conviction of not commiting the same mistake he did in the past.

Aoren stared at him for a little while longer before clicking his tongue in slight annoyance.

"Give this to her later."

Sinbad was then handed a roll of bandages and what seems to be a confectionary made from glutinous rice wrapped in bamboo leaves. After he received it, Aoren walked off away from them.

"We still have eyes watching you. Do be mindful where your hands may land." Was the prince's parting words to the king.

He slightly tilted his head downwards as a sign of thanks of some sort, while Aoren's figure vanishes from sight.

The song of small tropical birds filled the air before the sound of a small groan was hearf from the female who stirres in her sleep.

"Good morning, Yuki." He smiled kindly at her who immediately sat up.