[11] Chapter Eleven Pt. 2

Part Two

---------------------

The air wasn’t making it into my lungs. Oh God, I thought, this can’t be happening, please, oh please no! There was small aching pressure in the back of my head. My life is probably gonna start over. Again. I didn’t think I could handle that. My hands slipped behind my neck and held my head down against my upright knees. My eyes clamped shut; there was a headache forming somewhere in the back of my head. No way could my brain couldn’t take this in all at once.

 I must’ve been sitting there for a good while because I heard bare footsteps on the linoleum next to me. “Mirabelle! What are you…” I looked up at Tara, her face full of confusion and worry. “Why are you on the ground?!” I just smiled, which wasn't much of a smile at all, and extending my arm for her to grab. She just stared at me for a minute, probably making sure i truly was alright. Finally, she took hold of my shaking hand and pulled up up off the kitchen floor.

 “Why aren’t you answering me?” Tara insisted, grabbing my shoulders and looking me straight in the eyes. She looked like she was going to kill me if i didn't tell her. I tried casually to shrug her hands off, but having not quite found my composer yet made that kind of hard. "I'm fine," yeah, i thought, I sure sound fine.

Seth walked in, sighing loudly."What's the hold up? You know, i was think-" He glanced at me, instantly cutting his sentance in half. "Mirabelle... why are you so pale?" Taking a few steps forward, he placed his hands on my cheeks. Something inside of me finallyl fell into place at that moment, letting me regain control of my body and mind.

With that I took a small step back, chocking out a small smile. "I'm fine guys, trust me."

"Then why the hell were you on the freaking ground?!" Tara all but yelled at me. She had a point.

"I was just… thinking. Don’t worry about it, everything’s fine I swear.” My smile didn’t seem to cut it. They shot me with question after question before I had finally given them the answer they were looking for. Tara asked me one more question before  leting it go.

 “Are you really sure everything’s perfectly fine?” I nodded, giving them another smile. The two finally gave in and let the subject drop. We were in the middle of talking about the latest episode of Scrubs when the front door opened, reveling a flushed Emily carrying two paper bags with four plastic ones hanging on her arms.

 “Dears, can you help with the rest of the bags please?”

 “Sure! No problem!”, “We’d love to help,” and “We’ll do it, no need to worry Em,” were the answers we gave her. Emily, however, insisted that since they were her food that she should help a bit too, so once all of the groceries were inside and put away, I asked Emily to talk a little walk with me.

 It started out quiet for a while before I found a way to start the conversation.

 “Emily?” I said quietly, walking through a small puddle that was still in the road. “I need to tell you something.”

“What is it sweetie?” she grabbed my hand, continuing to look at the wonderful scenery. I stopped, pulling her back so she was standing in front of me looking me in the eyes. “Emily, child services called while you were gone.”

 Her eyes widened and she all but fainted right in front of me. “What! When?”

 “While you were gone. They said they sent out a scout to check up on the situation that someone had tipped them off on. He’s coming by next week Wednesday to get me.”

 “Oh gosh,” she whispered.

“And we can’t tell Tara! Especially since it’s-“

 “The day after her birthday day,” Emily cut in, realizing it herself. “But we have to tell Seth!”

 I shook my head, “No, I really don’t want to,” I muttered, sitting down on the curb. A silver Chevy Impala zipped by, moving the air that pushed my hair back behind my shoulders.

 Emily took a seat next to me, wrapping her arms around my waist. “

 When I finished, Emily looked as if she’d seen a ghost. “oh my…. We can’t tell Tara. But… now that I thought about it, I should tell Seth…but wait until tonight.”

 I nodded, “That’s what I was thinking. Sam and Seth needs to know.”

 “We’ll tell Sam when he gets home.”

 “Alright.” Then it dawned on me, “Tara’s birthday is next Tuesday!”

 “We’ll just throw her a party before you leave. We can tell her on Wednesday morning so she can have a happy birthday.”

 We calmed ourselves down and went back inside. Seth and Tara were whispering to each other when we walked in. “What are you two talking about?” I asked quizzically.

 “Oh, nothing. Where did you two go?” Seth asked, jokingly putting his arm on tara’s shoulders. She shrugged them off, glaring at him.

 "For a walk. Hey Seth, can I talk to you down stairs for a minute?”

 A quick flash of confusion crossed his face, but disappeared into a blank slate. "Sure,"

 I my hand into his big, warm one and walked him down to my room. After almost tripping down the stairs and breaking something, Seth and I sat down next to each other on my small bed. “Seth…” I started, my voice breaking and tears rolling down my face. Seth practically had a heart attack right on the spot. He pulled me into his chest, letting me just cry. A few minutes passed by and I pushed him away gently. "I'm leaving."

He blinked, not getting what i was saying. "Okay, and where are you going? The store? The park?"

I shook my head. "No, I mean child services found me and are coming out to take me to a foster care place."

 “What?!” He took my hand into his, not understanding the words coming from my mouth. So, I took a few minutes to explain the phone call I got and his eyes shifted through anger and sadness the entire time. By the time I finished, my cheeks were completely soaked and Seth was staring at me, still not believing a word I said.

 “No. You are NOT leaving me! You can’t! I love you Mirabelle! And you love me, so you can’t just…leave on me!” He stood up, running his hands through his dark hair and pacing back and forth, repeating that over and over.

 “Seth, stop! You don’t get it. I don’t have a choice in the matter. It’s state business. I’m sorry but I’m-“ my voice cracked once more, so I just gave up on talking. Besides, he knew what I was going to say anyway. He came back over to me and wrapped his arms around me gently.

'have you told Tara yet?"

 “We have to act normal.” I said quietly. “she can’t know, her birthday is next week. This would ruin it completely.” Seth wiped away my tears, as I wiped his.

 He nodded. “Okay. I can try that.”

“Alright, then let’s head back up. They might start thinking we’re doing… something down here.”

 “Yeah, that would be bad."

 Seth stood up first, pulling me off the bed onto my bare feet. We held hands and slowly made our way up the stairs. As soon as I opened the door, Tara attacked me, all smiles. “Hey, let’s go out tonight, okay? Just us girls. Just think how much we can do this now that we're together!"

 Oh God, I thought, please help me.