[ 0 ] Prolouge

The colors of the sunset cast across the sand as the waves washed over the beach, erasing the trail of footprints behind the girl walking up the shoreline. I was familiar with the scene before me, a dream that came more nights than not. The beauty of it all still left me breathless. I never knew how my mind was able to shape such a magnificent destination when I've never been anywhere like it.

It was like watching a movie unfold before my eyes. I felt a part of the scene, but only as a bystander with absolutely no control over what was about to happen. Not that I minded, of course.

A soft breeze swept over the sand and blew around the girl who always looked to be a splitting image of myself. It was my dream after all. The sound of the water hitting the sand echoed through the air. It was the only sound to be heard along the beach. The sunset, water, sand, all of it was so serene and perfect. What better paradise could a girl ask for?

Movie Mirabelle closed her eyes and smiled as she dug her toes into the warm, golden sand. She tipped her head back ever so slightly, just enough to let the breeze tousle her long hair back over her shoulders. I turned to my left just in time to see a strong figure making his way down the beach towards her. I tried to call out and warn her, but my voice came out barely a whisper that was instantly lost in the wind.

With her eyes still closed, Mirabelle stretched her arms up above her head as she drank in the warmth of the sun before it set completely on the horizon. The mysterious man was only a few feet away from her, a smirk overtaking his face. He slipped off his shoes and slowly walked towards Mirabelle as to not catch her attention. When he was close enough to touch her, he threw himself at her and wrapped his arms around her waist. Mirabelle let out a shriek of surprise before bending over in uncontrollable laughter.

To my disappointment, I couldn't hear what Mirabelle said to the man holding her. I tried focusing on her lips, but I was never a good lip reader. Mirabelle twisted in the man's arms to smile up at him and kiss his cheek. Of the countless times I found myself wrapped up in this dream, I have never been able to see the man's face. It drove me absolutely crazy. I tried moving myself to get a better angle, I've wished the man to turn around, I tried and tried to see his face, but every time I was left wondering who the mysterious man was.

Mirabelle was elated by this man's presence. She detached herself from him to take his hand and walk further down the beach. I could see them talking, but still couldn't make out a single word either said. It was nice to see movie Mirabelle so relaxed and happy. What I would have given to have that feeling with someone.

Halfway down the shoreline, Mirabelle stopped and pointed across the water. The couple watched as the sun sunk below the horizon completely, wrapped in each other's arms. As the light faded away, Mirabelle turned to the man, took his face in her hands, and pulled him in for a kiss. He took hold of her hips to get her closer to him, so they were perfectly molded together. It was a picture perfect ending.

----------------------------------------------

Beep beep beep!

The shrill of my alarm clock filled my bedroom unannounced. I groaned as I rolled over to turn it off, overcome with an empty feeling. What I wouldn't give to live in my dreams forever. They seemed far better than reality could ever be.

Beyond my closed door, I could hear my mom puttering around the kitchen making breakfast for my dad and me. Every year on the first day of school, my mom insisted in making a breakfast feast fit for a family of 10. Eggs, bacon, waffles, hash browns, homemade orange juice, the whole nine yards. It was my dad's favorite day of the year. And my most loathed. Not that any other school day was much different.

It took everything I had to drag myself out of bed and into the shower. Mom had bought a back-to-school outfit for me and left it hanging on my closet door while I was in the bathroom. Normally I wasn't a fan of her picking out my clothes, but this year she actually did a decent job of it. A solid army green top, dark wash jeans, and a forest green jacket to top it all off. It was an outfit that was straight out of your average high schooler's closet. Maybe it was good enough to let me blend with the rest of the school.

I ran a brush through my obnoxiously long brown hair, pinning the right side back with a couple bobby pins. I had thought about cutting it shorter, but my hair was the curtain I used to hide from the world. If they can't see me, I don't exist. It was a comforting thought, anyway. A pair of dull blue eyes stared back at me in the mirror, pleading with me to stay home. If only I had the option.

My mom and dad were already sitting at the table when I walked downstairs to the dining room. We talked about my classes and how excited I was to see my friends as we ate. Just like last year, I forced myself to smile and pretend that going to school wasn't my personal form of hell. After breakfast, I said my goodbyes and started the trek to school. Another year at Forks High School, home of the Spartans and some of the worst people I have ever met. Another year of hiding in the shadows and being the invisible girl I knew best.

Or maybe not.