[10] Chapter Ten

Most people would have considered the Friday I made amends with Alice a day of redemption. I guess I can agree, although I didn’t really think of it that way at the time. I had gotten up at about six, still planning out what I was going to say when I saw her. I quickly slipped on my usual wear; a t-shirt, jeans and converse and jumped in the truck with Sam. No one knew what I was doing that day, not even Seth. And, as far as I was concerned, nobody was gonna know.

Sam wished me luck at school and saw me off like he did everyday. I smiled and waved as he drove off. I quickly turned and ran inside to my locker, glancing at the clock on the wall. “Only 7:45, I still have time,” I muttered to myself as I opened my locker. I stuffed my math and science books in my tattered backpack. I made sure I locked my locker before setting off to wait by Alice’s locker.

When the minute bell went off for first period, I gave up. I’ll just wait until lunch, I thought. Science was normal I guess, if you call studying the mating habits of dogs normal. Reading about it in our text book was bad enough, but we had to watch a video on it along with it. Let’s say I really didn’t need to know they did ‘it’ for almost an hour straight before separating.

Alice didn’t show up at all during Science, or English. We were starting our study on the ways of the 18th century. Call me crazy, but English has always been my best class. My leg was thudding with a steady, nervous beat, waiting for her to just randomly walk in. That never happened.

The last two classes before lunch were a complete and udder bore. If you asked me what we did, I wouldn’t be able to tell you. After taking a record breaking 30 seconds to swap out my books, I stepped into the long and dreadful lunch line. I was off in my own little world when I felt a hand on my left shoulder. I whirled around, letting out a breath I had no idea I was holding in the first place. I smiled half-heartedly, “Hey Anna,”

“Hey slacker. I saw you practically sleeping in Algebra. So, what’s on your mind that’s got you this…spacey! In the 15 years I’ve known you, I’ve never seen you do that. Ever,” I shrugged, not replying. I scanned the room over a billion times, making sure I checked outside on the tables out there. No sign of her. Yet.

“Hello!” Anna’s perfectly sun tanned hand was waving in my face. I blinked, pushing her off. I grabbed a light blue tray and filled it with the school’s home-made pizza and other sides. “You know, I’m starting to worry. Please just tell me what’s going on in that smart head of yours,” She begged. Anna was my best friend. I’ve never lied to her. Until now. “There’s nothing wrong. I’m just really, really tired. I didn’t sleep well last night,” I finished as we sat at our usual table, out of the way of all populars and not anywhere close to the major geeks.

Anna and Ariel talked, but I barely listened. I was too busy watching every door, just waiting for her to show. All of the other Cullen’s had come in and gotten their food, which, obviously they couldn’t eat anyway. Bella Swan was sitting over at the table again, right next to Edward. Typical.

Once lunch finished, I slowly made my way through the rest of my classes. I was disappointed Alice never showed up. On the way home, I was depressed and bummed. Sam asked why, but I didn’t want to talk about it. With anyone for that matter. I was in my new room in the basement when it hit me like concrete blocks. I could just go over there and talk to them! Of course, that could’ve been the worst mistake of my life, but I had to take the chance. I was so pumped up on adrenaline that I grabbed my phone, some money, and asked Sam if he could take me into town. “Meeting up with some friends?” I nodded, lying again. Twice in one day. That’s a new record for me.

He dropped me off in front of the small restaurant I’ve seen oh so many times while in town. I thanked him and said I’d call when I was done. Once his truck was out of sight, I started walking in the direction of the Cullen’s home.