[16] Chapter Sixteen

Seth POV

Mrs. Clearwater wiped her hands off on a small hand towel that was draped over the oven door. She glanced nervously at her son’s bedroom door, which was closed tightly just like every other day for the past week. She was beginning to really worry about him; in the past seven days, he had come out from his cave to eat one bag of chips, and then locked himself back in the room.

The screen door slid open and a disheveled and dirty Leah sauntered in. She gave a half wave before casually walking into the bathroom to clean herself up. Oh my daughter. Not much of a daughter is she Mrs. Clearwater thought. There was a thump in her son’s room. She stole another look at the door, but the door was still shut solid.

Seth Clearwater was lying face down on his twin bed that had once been his sister’s. His face was stuffed in the feather pillow, hiding the tears that have been running since he had said good-bye to Mirabelle, his first crush ever. In his hand he held a tie dye Nerf football that he repeatedly chucked at the wall behind the bed so it fell back into his grasp. His mind was wandering around the memories he had of Mirabelle.

He started at the beginning , when they first met, and continued through until the day they had to say good-bye. In his mind, it felt more like years than just a week. A new, strong flow of salty tears ran down his cheeks, silent sobs rocking his body. All and all, he was a wreck.

As Leah switched off the shower, she could hear her brother crying. She was most definitely not one for the lovey-dove, tear jerking crap, but she felt for her brother. She knew what he was going through. It felt like hell, and she would never push that on anyone. Especially her own little brother.  

Leah pulled on clean clothes and burst out of the bathroom, making a bee-line for Seth’s bedroom door.  As her hand wrapped around the gold handle, her mother’s voice stopped her.

“Leah! What are you doing?” She whisper-yelled.

“Mom, I can’t take it! He’s not eating, all he does is cry all day! He practically lives in that stupid room. He needs a wake-up call.” Translation: mom, I need to help him, I can’t keep watching him in this state!

Sadly, Mrs. Clearwater wasn’t very good at reading people. “Honey, we should just leave him alone.  Let him figure this out on his own.”

“Ugh! Don’t you understand? Someone needs to put some sense in that kid’s head, and since you’re not going to do it, I will!” Leah practically yelled, throwing open the door and quickly shutting it, clicking the lock.

The handle started to jiggle from her mother’s efforts to get in and stop her daughter.  Leah just ignored her and took in the room. It was a pig sty. Clothes scattered on the floor, the carpet completely gone from sight. Chip crumbs grounded into the bed. Seth wrapped up in his blankets, the football now left unused, forgotten.

“Seth?” Leah called attentively.

“Get out.” Seth muttered from his pillow.

“Not until you let me talk to you.”

“I said get out,” His voice rose, becoming louder with each word.

“Don’t you know me?  If you don’t, I’ll-”

“Get the fuck out of my room!” Seth sat up, his face contorted with anger. Leah would’ve been more convinced if he didn’t have tear stains down his cheeks.

She ran over and enveloped him in a tight bear hug. He squirmed around, trying to break free. Leah just held him closer and started rocking him back and forth.

Seth was shocked, but continued to fight, balling his fits and hitting his sister in an effort to get her to let go. Leah had never acted like that before. This was completely different from her usual façade. After a few minute, Seth finally calmed down and just let her hold him. His tears slowed and became a small, steady stream over the gushing river it had been. Leah released him and held him by the shoulders and arm length.