[7] Chapter Seven

The sun was setting on the horizon as Seth led me to his truck. It was a black 2007 Chevy. To put it lightly, this thing was freakin huge. I felt my eyes widen and my pulse quicken. He didn’t seem to notice though. ‘Oh God,’ I thought. ‘There’s no way this is gonna end well.’ Seth picked me up and placed me in the front seat. For the first time, I felt him. His skin was so warm and soft. So warm, it almost burned, but that’s the kind of heat I was used to.

Seth pulled out a set of keys and jammed them in the ignition. I never thought to ask him how old he was, I just kinda figured he was old enough to drive because…well, he was driving. Trying to keep the tension low, i attempted to make conversation.

“Nice truck,”

“Thanks! It was an early birthday present.”

“Really? When is it?”

“December 17th.”

I nodded, looking at him as he pulled onto a road with overhanging trees. “So you were almost a Christmas baby,”

“Yeah, i guess so. Halloween would've been more appropriate." He muttered, shaking his head. My eyes narrowed, my head all jumbled up.

“What do you mean?”

He looked at me, pure shock and confusion filling his features. “What?”

“You said that was appropriate. What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Nothing, I was just thinking a loud,”

“Oh,”

 For a while, there was just the sound of running water and the air rushing past us as we drove by. There didn’t seem to be any other cars on the road, so that made me feel way better. The truck was angling upwards then, I could feel it. I glanced out the front window, gasping. We were driving up on the side of a cliff. My breath didn’t seem to reach my lung, before I knew it I was practically hyperventilating. Seth, who was trying hard not to take us off that Cliff-side, wasn’t paying attention to me. Great.

Something felt off then. I don’t know what it was, but something made me look back behind us. There, speeding up behind us, was another truck. They looked like they wanted to pass, so Seth slowed down a bit and let them go by. Big mistake.

You know what happens to a person who has a phobia of moving cars? Trust me, it’s not a pretty sight.

The car was now next to us, pulling ahead of the truck. From my point of view, it looked like the guy was going to turn around and hit us head-on. I screamed and covered my head with my arms, curling myself into a ball on the seat. Tears were running stream-like down my cheeks, soaking the knees on my jeans.

Seth swerved to the shoulder and stopped abruptly. I heard the gears change and the engine being cut. The seatbelt around my waist loosened and I was being pulled into Seth’s chest.

“I’m sorry, I forgot, I am so sorry Mirabelle,” he kept muttering nonsense I wasn’t listening to. I was too busy trying to calm myself down and remind myself that not everybody is out to get me. Key words being, ‘not everyone.’

After a few minutes, I was calm enough to let go of Seth and sit back in my seat. He looked like he was going to beat himself up. I turned away for a second to fasten my seat belt when Seth punched the hell out of the steering wheel. ‘I’ve never seen him like this before,’ I thought as I grabbed his arm.

“Seth! It’s okay. I… I forgot for a bit too.” His tense muscle loosened a bit. His clenched hands uncurled and were placed over the ones I had on him.