[ 1 ] Chapter One

My heart was racing. My lungs were working in overdrive. Beads of sweat were starting to form on my neck. My eyes glanced from side to side, wondering what kind of humiliation it was going to be today. I think that out of all my classes, Algebra II was the worst, in more ways than one. For one, it was extremely boring.

Don't get me wrong, I am acing the class with flying colors. It's just...I already knew everything the teacher was rambling about every day. I had been trying to pay more attention to my classmates than the actual class. They'd glare at me throughout the whole class. Sometimes, if they were looking for some cheap entertainment, they would throw things at my head. That was on the better days. My life as a junior majorly sucked.

I'm not your average 11th grader. Technically, I'm supposed to be a freshman, but I'm too smart for my own good. At the beginning of the school year, the principal called me out of my English class to pick up my new schedule. After that everything was thrown at me in a matter of minutes. Trust me, that's not enough time to understand what in the world was happening. So, beyond my request, he pushed me out of his office, gave me a pass and told me to get to class, which was now English 11 Lit and Comp.

I was lost for almost a month before I finally somewhat got the pattern down. It really didn't help that the other juniors were constantly steering me in the wrong direction. "Oh, Physics? That's down that hallway," or "Algebra? That's upstairs." They weren't very happy about me being in their classes. Hence, the violence against me. The thought of having a brainiac frosh in the same class as them wasn't exactly something they were willing to accept. And, lucky me, I had to deal with it every...single...day since then. It's only October. I'm pretty sure you can do the math.

I glanced up at the board, quickly copying down the assignment and packing my stuff in my bag before the bell rang. Nothing had happened throughout class, no spit balls, no weird made-up notes floating around the class. Nothing at all. That wasn't a very good sign.

I almost screamed with relief when the bell rang. My backpack on my shoulder, I tried to get out of there as fast as I could. Unfortunately, I didn't make it down the door fast enough.

I was just feet from freedom when a large, bulky figure blocked the doorway. I inwardly groaned and looked up at one of the star football jocks. Even in the off-season, they all worked out like mad dogs so they could stay ripped until next season.

"So fresh-meat, what will it be today?" He bent down a bit so he could look me in the eyes. I tried hard to hold in and not show how scared I was as he stared me down. If it was any other person, I would've fought back, but it had to be the guys I had no chance against. Wonderful.

"Staying silent, huh? Well, that's your loss," He rose his hand into slapping position. This had happened once before, a day I had really pissed off the class by answering in such great detail, the teacher even had to ask questions.

I stood my ground, bracing myself for the blow. His arm swung towards me and instinctively my eyes clamped shut, ready for the pain. Seconds past, however, and nothing happened. My eyes flew open to see that the jock's arm was being held by a small, pale arm of a petite figure that I knew very well. He looked scared, almost as if he may wet himself right there in the middle of the hallway.

"If you're smart, you'll leave her alone you stupid asshole!" Her voice was cold and icy. It was one the opposing side to the one I confided in many times before after times like these. It was one that comforted me when this had happened the first time. It was one I had come to know and love.

"Alice!" She looked at me, letting go of the guy. He stumbled away from her grip, and then took off running down the hall, far away from us. She took a few steps towards me, grabbing my shoulders and looking me over.