[5] Chapter Five

It’s been almost a week since I came home from the hospital. All I’ve been doing it sitting on the couch watching TV and eating at meal times. It was time for me to start doing something again.  

It was about six o’clock in that Friday morning when I went into the kitchen to talk to Sam. I’ve known that he gets up really early to start his work. (I had no idea what he did) He was sitting in one of the bar stood by the island eating cereal. When he saw me come into the room, he smiled.

“Good morning! What are you doing up so early?” He shoveled another spoon full into his mouth.

“Well, um, I was kind of wondering if…well…”

“Spit it out,” his mouth was full when he said that.

“I kind of want to go back to school…if that’s okay with you and Emily I mean,” My fingers were twitching in my lap. I was so afraid he’d say no.

“I guess you can. As long as you’re up to it,” he took his last bit before getting up to clean out the bowl. I ran over to him and hugged him.

“Thank you!” I let go and took a step back, biting my lip. “Um, can I go back today possibly?”

He looked at me, kind of shocked. “Don’t you think you should wait until tomorrow?”

“I really want to go back today though.” I said, sitting down in the chair Sam was sitting in before he got up.

Sam looked at the clock on the wall and sighed. “Okay, yeah I guess you can,”

I smiled and went back to my room. My stuff was now in a bureau across from my bed. I only had enough clothes for two more days, but that was fine with me. It’s not like they couldn’t get washed.

My paramore t-shirt was my first choice, followed with a pair of gray jeans and purple high-tops. I was too much in a hurry to empty my backpack of all my school shit, so I had everything ready to go. It was about seven when I went out into the kitchen to make myself something for breakfast. Sam was watching the local news channel, waiting for me to finish up.

After I cleaned up my dishes, I slipped on a sweatshirt and Sam took me out to the truck.

“Remind me, where do you go to school?” He asked after starting up car.

“Forks High,” I replied, throwing my backpack onto the floor.

“Okay,” He put the truck in gear and started driving back to Forks. The car ride seemed to go by slower this time compared to the last time I was in his truck. I guess that was because Seth wasn’t along.

“I probably won’t see Seth at all will I,”

“No, he goes to school in La Push with the rest of the pa- I mean the rest of his friend,” Sam stuttered, clutching the wheel tighter.

“Oh,” I said aloud, thinking, ‘well that sucks,’

The rest of the ride was almost dead silence. I will admit I was kind of freaked out by it, but we were there before I could do anything serious. I jumped out, grabbed my backpack and slinging it over my shoulder. My right arm, the one with the cast on it, was hidden by my sweatshirt sleeve, but there was no way to hide my bulky white bandage on my neck. 

Everyone I passed gave me a different look. There was the ‘oh, what happened?!’ look, and the ‘ha, serves you right frosh.” Bet you can’t guess who those looks came from.

By the time I got to my locker, my face was beat red. I seriously considered not coming back to school again. Once my locker was open, a note fell out, landing by my feet. It was from Alice.