[ 2 ] Chapter Two

The rest of the day flew by in a massive blur. Ariel and Anna asked me what had happened, but I told them everything was fine. Right after last hour, I saw Alice standing by her locker. I could've sworn there were tears in her eyes. She gave a little smile and wave before quickly turning and running off towards the stairs.

Something deep inside me told me to follow her. I held my books tight to my chest and quietly made my way down the stairs amongst a pack of other students. Even though Alice was short, I could see her short, pixie cut bobbing in the large crowd.

"Alice!" I called as loudly as I could, but my voice was drowned out by all of the others around me. Somehow she managed to hear me because she stopped dead in her tracks, turning to look at me. We stood there like statues, just staring at each other and the student body filters around us and out of the building.

Tears welled up in my eyes, but I held them back. Alice, on the other hand, seemed to be crying to no end. The halls were completely empty then; everyone had left and gone home except for us. We continued to stand there until something snapped the silence around us.

"Mirabelle!" Alice cried, running to me and throwing herself at me, making us both end up on the ground. The tears I was holding back now began to leak out, streaming down my face. I wrapped my arms around Alice and together we just sat there, holding each other and crying.

We stayed like that for a few minutes before I detached myself from her. I chuckled a bit, wiping off some of the mascara that had begun to run down Alice's cheeks. "Why are you crying?"

"Because I heard what happened! Oh Mirabelle, I'm so sorry!"

"Thank you," I whispered, wiping away my own tears. Suddenly I felt a presence from behind me, but it spoke before I could turn and see who it was.

"Alice? What are you doing on the ground?" I looked and saw that it was Jasper who had snuck up on us. Alice stood up, fixing her dress.

"Nothing really. I'll tell you later." She sniffed, wiping her nose. "Mirabelle, I have to leave now. If you need anything, anything at all, please call me."

I nodded. "Alright. Bye Alice." She waved and together she and Jasper made their way out of the building, leaving me all alone.

With a backpack full of books and homework, I slowly made my way out of the building and on my usual route home. It was still fairly warm out for October, but there was no way it was going to stay that way for much longer. Nights had already become cooler, almost below zero.  Most of the trees had already changed colors, making the neighborhood much prettier.

My driveway was leaf-covered when I got there. Dad usually swept it off every afternoon when he got home from work, but I knew that was just one part of a routine that would never happen again. My hands shook as I inserted the key into the door, unlocking it and stepping inside.

They told me the funeral would be in a few days, but that was the last thing I was thinking about. I had to figure out where in the world I was going to live. I couldn't stay at home; someone would no doubtfully find me there. Staying with Alice was out. No way was I going to chance her getting in trouble because of me.

I decided that I could go stay out in our tree house deep in the woods behind our house until I could think of what to do next. It was secluded and since the land was shared between my family and an elderly couple down the road, I knew I wouldn't run into anyone out there.

The next step was to gather up some things so that I could stay out there overnight. I took an old wagon out of the garage and started piling it high with pillows and blankets as well as a few food items to hold me over until Saturday morning. In my bag I stuffed a few changes of clothes and a few toiletries around my books.