Ruel's POV

*Note: so far I've been going ruel's POV-alira's POV-Ruels pov etc etc in that pattern back and forth but just for this bit I'm doing two of Ruels in a row bc it made more sense. Just so ur aware no this isn't a mistake 😂 *

Edit: this chapter is weirdly emotional and i don't like it but too bad

Edit #2: wrote this while listening to hard sometimes, who woulda guessed

————————

"Ruel! Wake up, you ass!"

I sit up suddenly. It's the middle of the night and  I can hear patterns of rain around me. 

"You fuckhead, what were you thinking?"

I rub my eyes and see Sylvie kneeling in front of me, looking scared but irritated. 

"How did you find me?!" I say, shocked. 

"I put a tracker in Coco's car. I thought you or her might do something like this."

"Like what?"

"Get away from everything."

"Oh."

"C'mon, you're soaked and shivering, let's go to the car."

I stand up and as the warm pocket of air billows from under my shirt I realise it must be less than ten degrees. 

"What time is it?" I whisper as we pad over pine needles and wet grass.

"1:59." Replies Sylvie, checking her watch.

We reach the car and hers is parked behind it but we both climb inside Coco's.

There's about thirty seconds of silence in which we both stare straight ahead trying to think of what to say.

"Mum thinks you're sleeping at someone's house."

"Oh. Thanks."

"Dad knows you're here. And that I went."

"Ok."

"Coco's upset."

"The usual."

She sighs at my unenthusiastic responses so I ask what's been weighing on my mind.

"Why did you bother coming to get me?" I murmur.

She turns her head to face me with a smirk.

"What do  you think, dumbass?"

I shrug.

"Because I love you. That's what siblings do."

A weight lifts off me, reassured someone cares. It's her turn to ask a question.

"Why did you go?"

I gulp because I dont know myself. Struggling to comprehend the feeling, I work a sentence that only scrapes what I want to say.

"I think... just because, I don't know. I feel like I have no value."

"I know there's more than that." She urges. "And I want you tell me. I'd much rather hear it than-"

"I know."

"So....?"

"I'm tired Sylvie, I just want a break, I'm sick of this, I'm sick of everything."

"Ruel, don't say that-"

"You said you wanted to know!" It comes out angry even though I know she didn't mean it how I took it. Another silence. "I'm sorry." I say quietly.