Alira's POV

I wake up with a warm body next to me, sunlight streaming in the window. Feet still hurting from the high heels that had to be worn all last night. Shoulders bruised from the weight of the green silk now piled at the foot of the bed.

"Morning." Whispers Ruel. I almost want him to reach out and twirl my hair between his fingers like he has before , but then I remember there's nothing between us. Deep breathing.

When I don't reply, he whispers again. " I need to tell you something."

My heart turns. So i roll over and look into the bright green eyes that consume me every day. 

"I'm going to asia"

"For how long?"

"Two months."

"Oh."

"I was going to ask, did you want to, well, do you want to come?"

I bite my lip and give the slightest shake of my head. He blinks and flecks of golden sun bounce off his long blonde eyelashes. "Sorry." I whisper.

The door bangs open and we both jump up. It's Coco.

"Hurry up, check out time is 10 and it's 9:58."

We both groan and reluctantly change, pack up and lug our bags down into the golden foyer. There are still lines of police talking into radios, and tape lines the place that was attacked yesterday. We navigate through to the carpark, hop in the car and drive home. I'm tired so I don't commit myself to any conversation. We reach my house and say bye, and thank you, then they drive off leaving me knocking on the door. Xena opens it. 

"Where's dad?"

"Oh, hello, hope you're well too."

"Where is dad?"

"Out. With Rocky."

"Where?"

"What does it matter?"

"Xena, where are they?"

"They're shopping! Stop getting so stressed!"

I storm upstairs to my room and know she's right. I'm being short with her. But she isn't my mum.

The newly hinged door can't slam properly so it gives an unsatisfying clunk as a thrust it closed.

 Something still smells like boys, or a boy in particular, so I push open the windows and a gush of air flows in, but the sense lingers so I tear off my sheets and dump them out the window. The white sheets billow in the wind before entangling in a tree next door.

I flop onto the bed and just lie staring at the ceiling trying not to think. I'm so tired that I fall asleep and wake at sunset. Immediately I take out my phone to try and distract myself gain but an ad comes up. It's for a concert tonight where three different acts are performing. But the ad says one of them has fallen sick  and the replacement is-

Ruel. Of course it is. He never leaves my life, I wish I could just comb everything free of him. I want to be normal.

Yet some part of me says I should go, so I call him. 

"Hey, what's up?" 

"You're playing tonight. You didn't say."

"Oh, sorry, I thought you didn't want to know?"

A prickly of irritation runs through me.

"No, I don't. But I'm going to come because I'm bored."

He laughs. "Ok. Come to the stage door and ask to see Nate, he'll let you in and then I'll give you a pass so you can just drift around."

"Cool. I'll be there soon, ish."