Alira's POV

"Swell's good, we can go surf." I call into the quiet house. 

There's a few thumps and Ruel comes running down the stairs. He grabs a towel and slips on some thongs, picks up his keys and grins at me. 

I lay my half wet towel on his car seat and sit on it, trying not to get sand everywhere. Looking a bit messy compared to his dry, tidy figure.

"Did you tie the boards on properly?" I scold as he hops in.

"Of course I did, you know I did."

"If you say so."

It's 3:38pm on the 22nd of December. A scorching hot 40 degree day. 

We drive down to the beach a few kilometres down where everyone surfs. Music blasting, little wind filtering in the windows. Singing loudly.

He parks the car as close to the beach path as he can and we jump out. It takes a few minutes to undo the tightly tied knots holding down the surfboards but we get there eventually, holding them under our arms and racing down to the beach. 

Without stopping both of us drop our stuff messily near the waters edge and keep running straight into the water. I throw my board forward and glide onto it, paddling out. He's a few metres behind me.

"C'mon, slowcoach, keep up!"

"I'm trying!" He yells.

I laugh and turn my board for an approaching wave. Just as it reaches me, I stand up and surf along it.

He tries to stand up on the wave as well and instead gets flipped off his board into the white foam. I laugh but then he swims underneath me and upturns my board, throwing me in as well.

"Prick!" I say, gasping at how cold the water is. My board bobs back and forth as I scramble back on just in time to stand up for the next wave.

I surf into shore and drag my board up into the sand, then dive back into the water and swim out to where Ruel is trying to catch a wave successfully.

Ignoring his protests, I hoist myself onto the back of the board.

"Kneel down!" I say, getting in the right position to stand for a wave. He kneels clumsily, holding onto the board tightly.

"Alright... hold on!"

The wave roars behind us and I stand up, steering the board parallel to the shore. I decide the board is too heavy with the both of us to do anything too exciting so I just continue our trajectory along the wave. When it dies out the board lazily flips us both off.

We get washed back into the sand and then we lay in the shallows letting waves wash over us.

"Wanna go get a coffee?" He asks.

"Nah."

"Smoothie?"

"Nah."

"Water?"

"Nah."

"Come on, I'm dehydrated and hungry!"

"I'm kidding, of course I'll come stupid."

We walk back up and wrap up in our towels, collect our possessions scattered in the sand, and go back up the dunes to a little cafe. There's no seats so we just buy a slushy each and go back to the car.

"Can I taste yours?" Says Ruel, sitting in the drivers seat while I'm still arranging my towel to cover the chair.

"No."

"I paid for these!"

"Of course you can taste it! Just take a sip. Not too much."

"Again, i paid for it."