Ruel's POV

Several teachers try to stop us as we run through the school but finally we reach an open gate and hurry to the car park.

"How're we getting...wherever we're going?" Alira asks letting go of my hand.

"I'm driving."

"You have your license?"

"Erm... a bit."

She doesn't ask any questions which I'm grateful for.

"Which car is yours?" She says nervously looking around the carpark.

I get myself ready to tell her.

"Don't be angry at me..."

"Ruel, what've you-"

"I stole a car."

"WHAT!?" 

With a yell like that I expect her to be angry or upset or frustrated but when I look over she's grinning in excitement.

"I've always wanted to steal a car!" She shrieks.

I nod my head awkwardly and survey her. Weird.

We jump in the Toyota which is most certainly not mine and exit the carpark. Once we're on the main road I speed up to 100

"Where are we going?"

I don't answer.

"Ruel, where are we going?" This time she sounds worried.

"Don't be scared. It's kind of a surprise but not... not a good one."

"I'm not scared. I'm worried about you."

I don't look down from the road but bite my lip as hard as I can.

"Why are you worried about me?" I try to say it calmly but my voice shakes.

"You must be really busy." She says quietly. "Running around dealing with fans, plus your own life, homeschool, your girlfriend, then whatever this is..."

"Alira, I'm fine."

"No you aren't."

"Am. How would you know?"

"Coco told me."

"Told you what?"

"Told me that you cry sometimes."

I almost crash the car but regain control after swerving into the wrong lane.

"What!? Of course I cry sometimes, you do to! You cry a lot, you've cried on me."

She drops the matter.

I turn off the main road and see a sign from the place we're going. My legs feel like lead.

"We're almost there." I say.

"Ruel." Alira's voice has suddenly gone really shakey and high pitched. "We're going to the hospital aren't we?"

My mouth goes dry.

"Ruel? Ruel!"

I still don't answer.

I pull up on the verge next to the road and turn off the car but don't hop out.

"Ruel." She says it quieter this time but says it more distressed than ever. "Please, just-"

"Your mum, she's alive." I say. Staring straight ahead.

There's a silence that rings in your ears, one that precedes something.

"No, she's not." Alira sounds bitter. "She's dead and this is not funny! She is dead!"

I look to my left at her and she isn't even crying. She looks frustrated and obviously doesn't believe me.

I move my arm to hold her hand and give it  a little squeeze.

"Alira, there's stuff you need to know."

Before I can explain anything she bursts into a rant.

"She's dead! She killed herself, ok? You never even met her! You don't know anything! Is this some plan to make me like you?! I fucking hate you and I keep falling for your shit! Leave me alone! Don't pretend you know shit you don't and-"

"ALIRA."  I didn't mean to yell. But it hurt to hear all that about me. She's panting and soms way through the rant has scratched my hand. It's bleeding a little.

"Alira, let me explain."

"There's nothing to explain, she killed herself."

This makes me stop. This is the sort of thing you can't fake, people don't just make a cover up that involves suicide. Even I doubt what I've been told for a second.

"She tried." I whisper. I don't know this but it must be true. "Your mum isn't dead, Alira. She's alive and she's here. She has a brain tumour. Your dad told you she killed herself to give you one good shock instead of constant... anxiety, worry about her."

I don't know if she took any of this in but when tears start coming I know she understood it all.

"So why are you telling me now?" She whimpers. I know she still only half believes me.

"Because she's dying, really dying this time. I'm sorry."

Alira looks and me and smiles confusedly. 

"No she isn't."

I lean back in the chair wondering how I can convince her.

"What if I cry? Is that the only thing that makes you believe me like before?"

She turns cold immediately. "Maybe it is! I mean, like you've been completely honest with me!"

"What?"

"Not telling me you're literally famous. Not telling me you had a girlfriend before you kissed me."

"Alira, what the hell!? Don't you understand, your mum is literally alive and literally dying, please!?"

"Fine. I'll come in and if she isn't, I'm calling the police and going to court and getting a restraining order against you."

Something in her tone makes me think she isn't joking.