Ruel's POV

7 evacuation centres. 3 police stations. 9 banks. A charity shop. And hours, hours, hours of driving.

That's what it takes us to get to the airport. When we get there they're letting a few flights through before they close because of smoke.

"Melbourne?" Says a harried looking guard. "That way, please."

It's the airport like I've never seen before. Crying, anxious people waiting and running everywhere. The security a lot more hurried and not as thorough. Desperate.

We scan our tickets at a check just before the gate. I turn to Alira. 

"You go first."

She smiles at me sadly. "I'm not coming with you."

"Hurry up, scan your ticket." I say, my heart jumping into my mouth. 

"Ruel, I-"

"Alira! How could you?"

Panic sets in. 

"Calm, calm down." She says, grabbing my hands. "I'll be fine."

"No! Where are you going, who with, why didn't you tell me, I can't let you-"

"Ruel. Be quiet. People are staring."

"I don't care! How could you, please, I'm begging you!"

Tears are forming in my eyes and I wipe them away, embarrassed. But the lump in my throat stays.

"I'm going to Darwin. Dad and Rocky are already there."

"Darwin!? Why Darwin, that's too far-"

"Be quiet! I can't live in the city, you know I can't."

"Yeah but Darwin's, well, Darwin."

"I know, but it's quiet, and it's not home. I don't have anything against Darwin. Don't have the bad memories like I do with... with our old farm."

"You don't understand." I whisper frantically. "You can't, you have to come with me."

"Ruel, it's going to be ok."

"Why didn't you tell me?! Then I could've convinced you to come with me!"

She laughs. "That's exactly why I didn't tell you, duh brain."

I stand just staring at her. And she stares back. A tear rolls down my cheek and she lifts her arm and wipes it away.

"I'll visit you." She says, trying to be optimistic. "I can call you every day, if you want."

"It's not the same, though."

"You'll get busy eventually. Tour again. Make more cool songs." She aims a light kick at my shin. "Get a girlfriend."

I smile. But then the thought overwhelms me. "What if I forget you?"

"Forget me? You better not." She laughs. "You probably will. And that's fine. But I hope you can hold on to me."

She leans in and I lean in. Put my hands on her hips. Hers rest on my chest. And we kiss. One last time.

A message comes over the P.A.

"Melbourne flight, gate two, last call."

She scratches her neck. "That's you, matey. Have a nice life."

I hug her and she hugs back so tight it hurts. Now I'm really crying and I'm so angry at myself for doing it. There's really no need to.

"See you later, I guess." She smiles. A proper smile. The ones that I missed every time.

"Yeah. See you."

She turns and without anything else walks away, hair swinging behind her, parting the crowd of goers. I feel the urge to run after her. So much I need to say.

But then I didn't.

And life just went on.