Proven Promise

• Dedicated to Nelly Ora-Yuki

The day started off like any other, waking up beside her. The weather outside was mild, yet cold to a degree, but under the warmth of the covers, it couldn't be felt at all. As my senses came to me, I smiled contentedly, running my hands through Nelly's hair. She rubbed her eyes and looked up at me, giving me that one look that nobody else in the whole world could replicate.

“Good morning.” She said happily.

“Good morning.” I replied, sitting up with her. “Did you sleep well?”

“Yes, thanks.” She smiled. “Did you?”

“Yeah, I always do with you.” I let my hand fall to her shoulder. “What do you want to do today?”

“Oh, I don't mind... Whatever you want to do.”

I looked into her eyes and found myself blushing. “Um... Well... It's cold, so how about we just lie back down for a little bit?”

“I'd like that.”

We pulled the covers up to our chins and lay down once more. Nelly shuffled into my arms and I held her close. “Hey, Nelly...?”

“Yeah?” She looked up, her hands on my shoulders.

“I love you.”

“I love you too.” She reached up and slowly ran her finger down the bridge of my nose. We both giggled before wrapping our arms around each other.

As I lay there, I felt as if something about today was going to be different.

Later, the family was down in the living room. Darragh was reading through some papers he had on the coffee table, and Alexis was taking a phone call by the window. “If she wants to come over, she's more than welcome to.” She said, looking out at the world. “It's no trouble to us, we can feed another mouth.”

Maruki was sat on the floor, playing with some plush toys. It reminded me of when I was a little bit younger. “Nelly, you be that one!” He pointed to a fluffy pink dog.

“Ok then.” His sister smiled, kneeling down to play in his fantasy world. I watched from the sofa, happily observing.

Alexis finished speaking and put her phone away as Darragh stood and stretched.

“Who was it, Mum?” Nelly asked.

“Oh, it was my sister. We might have a visitor next week.”

“A visitor?” I wondered.

“Ah... I guess we had better go out and stock up again.” Darragh looked around for his keys.