Epilogue - A Mother's Wish

"Are you all right?" Darragh asked, putting a hand on our shoulders.

"Yeah." I sniffed.

"It's ok." Nelly nodded.

"Let's just get you back inside." Alexis said. "No doubt you need some rest. You too, Darragh."

"I'm tired, and I haven't even done anything." Bonnie yawned.

"All right." I agreed. "I need some time to think about some things anyway." I stretched.

We all turned to face the house, and we started walking back. The sky was a beautiful orange hue, and the dying breeze danced weakly across my face. I was just glad that it was all over. I had had enough for one day already.

From behind, there was the vague sound of footsteps on the grass, belonging to more than one person.

"Toby... Bonnie..."

I stopped in my tracks and the hairs on the back of my neck stood on edge. My voice was caught in my throat, and my body felt weak. "No..." I breathed heavily. "No, it can't be you... No..."

Slowly, I began to turn around. My heart was pounding and I hid my eyes briefly before opening them to the person before us. "It is you..." I grit my teeth. "But... How...?"

The woman smiled warmly, and though her face had aged slightly, I had never forgotten it.

"Mum..."

"Mummy!" Bonnie ran past me and leapt into her arms. The two of them held onto each other tightly, but I couldn't find it in me to move. "I missed you so much..." My sister wailed.

"I missed you too..." My mother whispered to her, stroking her hair.

"I... I..." I stared. Nelly came back to my side and and held my hand behind my back.

As the two hugged each other, my eyes settled on the other person present. "Wait... Huh? Valentina?"

The young woman stood with her arms folded, and an uncharacteristic smile was spread across her face. We hadn't seen her for years, but I always remembered how she had saved our lives multiple times, as part of Team Rocket and Genesis.

"Why are you here...? Both of you...?" I swallowed.

"There were a lot of things I never got to tell you before we got separated..." Mum said, still holding Bonnie. "Before I married your father, there was another man."

"Yeah... I know..." I twitched.

"And you were both so little, that you probably don't remember... Your big sister."

Valentina shuffled and nodded. Bonnie looked up at her in wonder, and I just stared in fascination. "Sister... She's my sister?!" I shook my head. Everything was happening too fast.

"Half sister, technically." Valentina said as Bonnie threw her arms around her. "My name's Megan, by the way."

I looked at her, then to my mother. "Where were you?" My voice broke. "I looked so hard for you, and I couldn't find you anywhere..." I began to cry. "Where were you?!"

"I was working with that company I told you about... The one that unites people and Pokemon..." She replied, looking at the ground. "I took Megan and fled there when everything happened that day."

"You... You left us alone to survive..." I wailed. "Why didn't you come back for us?!"

"I did... But you weren't at the care home..."

"I was young and afraid... I wasn't going to let some strangers shove us into some adoption centre!" I tried to defend myself.

"I know, Toby. I'm sorry I didn't come for you sooner... But I couldn't get away. The company needed me to be its ambassador... But not a moment went by when I wasn't thinking of you two..."