Chapter 11 - Champion Showdown

“No... Nelly...” I sulked, looking at her from the other side of the stage.

“Toby...” She sighed sadly.

“Begin!” The referee called, raising his flag. The crowds all roared up again, jumping off their seats. But I couldn't do it. I just stared at the ground and shook my head. Nelly looked around nervously, and everyone around the stadium soon realised that nothing was happening.

“What is this?” Harvey wondered. “Neither competitors are making a move!”

“Nelly, I...” I looked right into her eyes. “I'm not going to fight you...”

“I don't want to fight you either...” Nelly said, looking back at me.

“R-Referee...” I swallowed. “I-”

“Hold on.” Nelly halted me. “I'm not taking this away from you... Let's go together...”

“Nelly... O... O-Ok then...” I nodded. The two of us crossed into the middle of the battlefield and took each other's hand.

“We forfeit.” We said in unison.

Gasps rocked around the whole place as our voices came over the speakers. “W-well I never!” Harvey said, a bit flabbergasted. “Toby and Nelly want to forfeit! Are you sure about your decision?”

We looked up at one of the cameras and nodded conclusively.

“Well... Thank you both for your participation...! Please make your way to the stands!”

Nelly and I walked over to the side of the stadium, and were showed round to where everybody else was sitting.

“Sorry you couldn't go further...” I sighed.

“It's ok, Toby... I'd never want to go against you anyway.” Nelly smiled as we sat down with the rest of the group.

“Ladies and gentlemen, due to the departure of our semi-finalists, we would like to recall the previous losing quarter-finalists! As well as Skyra versus Jake, the other semi-final will be Ethan versus Sam!”

*

“Unbelievable...”

“Incredible...”

“No way...”

At almost the same time, Sam and Jake's final Pokemon fainted. Ethan and Skyra stood victorious, without hardly breaking a sweat.

“Ethan's Pokemon were completely different from before...” Bonnie said, confused.