Chapter 10 - Take the Stage

“Snowflake, use Aura Sphere! Grovyle, protect yourself!” I barked out.

My Togekiss released a ball of surging blue energy that tracked Grovyle's every movement. The agile gecko gathered momentum and tore into the attack with Leaf Blade. The resulting explosion kicked up dust, but Grovyle landed unharmed, acknowledging Snowflake's effort.

The Pokemon tournament was starting in a few days, and I was making sure that my Pokemon were getting ample practice in beforehand. It had been a long time since they had taken part in anything truly competitive, but I knew they all still had their fighting spirits.

“Good block, Grovyle! Snowflake, well done! Try and overpower him next time!”

My Pokemon smiled at each other happily.

“It's really coming along.” Nelly said, watching whilst she was training her own Pokemon. We were training by the hills in Fuchsia City, on the pristine green fields below.

“Thanks.” I smiled. “How are you getting along?”

“Trixie and Pachirisu are getting better all the time, but I really need to take some of my Pokemon out of storage soon. That or I need to catch some more...”

“Oh, do you only have your Vulpix and Pachirisu at the moment?” I asked.

“Yeah... I haven't really done any competitive battling before. But it's ok, I'll just bring four Pokemon in from the Pokemon Centre later.” She replied.

I looked around at the Pokemon present. Grovyle and Snowflake were sparring wholeheartedly, whilst Trixie and Patch were letting loose their long-range attacks, their purple bows fluttering with each attack. My Quilava, Cyndi, was using her speed to try and outwit my Empoleon. Larvitar was testing his strength and agility by jumping high and climbing trees.

“Nelly, if you want, you can use one of my Pokemon for the tournament...” I suggested.

“Toby, I couldn't do that!” She shook her head. “I can't take one from you just like that.”

“It's ok, I have plenty in storage! Here, take this one.”

I walked up to my partner and placed a PokeBall in her hand.

“Toby...!”

I gave her the golden PokeBall and smiled. “Jirachi likes you, so he'd probably love fighting for you.”

“But... He's one of your best... I can't...” Nelly swallowed. Just then, the ball popped open and the Wish Pokemon materialised in a flash.

“I'll fight!” Jirachi grinned.

“Jirachi! Is it ok if you join Nelly's team for a while?” I asked.