Chapter 7 - Playing a Blinder

The cloth ran over the plate, and I rubbed the surfaces clean with my fingers, before placing it in the drying rack. I grabbed another and washed it thoroughly.

“Good job.” Nelly smiled beside me. We were washing the dishes in the kitchen, whilst the rest of the family were watching television in the living room. It wasn't something we did too often, but it wasn't exactly a task that was beyond us. “How are your nerves?” I asked. It was the day before our second match, and we had all tried our hardest to put in a solid effort in training.

“Well, I can't say that I'm calm...” She replied, running the warm water of the sink over a bowl. “But I think we'll do better this time, because everyone's been trying really hard...”

“Especially you.” I smiled.

“I...”

“Don't deny it, Nelly. I've seen you up front. You work so hard on all aspects of your game. Without you, the team would be nothing.”

“N-no, I wouldn't say that.” She blushed. “You're just as important as any of us... Think about our first game – the scoreline would have been a lot less respectable without you in goal.”

I looked at her and felt warm inside. “I only do what I have to. And I always think of you back there. You're what drives me to make saves, because if I can react to those shots, I know I can react better to things in general, and... I'll be able to protect you better.”

Nelly placed the final plate in the rack and shook her head as she dried her hands. “You know how to say the sweetest things...”

She leaned in towards me, and I went towards her. Her eyelids flickered and her lips trembled slightly as our noses touched, then we closed our eyes...

“Ney!” A voice came from behind. Nelly and I pulled away from each other abruptly with red faces, as we turned to see who was there. Standing in the doorway was Maruki, Nelly's little brother who was now just over a year old.

“Oh, hello Maruki.” Nelly smiled.

“Hi!” The boy giggled. “Ney?”

“Yeah?”

“Toto cuffle?” He asked.

“What was that?” I whispered.

“I think he means 'Toby cuddle'.” Nelly shrugged.

“Yeah.” Maruki nodded, hearing what his sister had said.

“You want Toby to give you a hug?”

“Noooo.” The child shook his head and pointed at Nelly. “Ney cuffle Toto!”

I swallowed awkwardly and laughed.

“Oh... You mean like this?” Nelly wrapped her arms around me and rested her hear on my chest.

“Nelly...” I slowly put my hands on her back and buried my face in her hair.

“Hehe!” Maruki clapped and smiled.

“Maruki!” Alexis' voice came from in the other room. “Leave Nelly alone, Sweetie.”

“Ok!” He said, before running back into the living room.

The second he left, Nelly tightened her grip on me and buried her head into the crook between my chest and chin. I playfully ran my fingers through her dark brown hair and smiled.

“I love you.” She told me.

“I love you too.” I squeezed her tight.

*