Chapter 14 - Medieval Bonding

“You look rough.” Jayden said as I came back to the Apex of Time.

“I'm fine.” I shook my head, holding the Crystal up.

“Well done.” Palkia nodded. “Now please place it with the others.”

I walked up to the altar and slid the stone into place, with all of the eyes watching me. I didn't want to talk about what I had seen. I never wanted to see it again.

“Where are we going next?” I asked, before anyone could ask me any more questions.

“Your next destination is perhaps your most dangerous yet.” Dialga said. “You are all aware of the Hundred Years' War, correct?”

“The war between the House of Aqua and the House of Magma in the Hoenn region?” Nelly asked.

“Precisely. Your next stop will be back to the Middle Ages. The two warring factions are both in possession of a gem.”

“Is that bad? What can they do with them?” I wondered.

“The stones on their own are next to useless.” Palkia explained again. “But it is vitally important that we get them back in pristine condition.”

“Therefore, you will need to retrieve the gems, but also make sure that they don't get damaged in the process. You must remember that the Ruby and Sapphire are now in the possession of military leaders, and the region is in a state of war.”

“How do you expect us to get them back?” Jayden asked, even though we all knew the answer.

“You will have to infiltrate the armies – how you do so is up to you.” Palkia said. “Once you get the gems, we'll pull you straight back here out of danger.”

“But if we have to fight... Won't we disrupt the flow of time in some way?” I thought about it.

“This was a war. Countless people died. Adding to the bloodshed will change nothing. We will keep time on its intended path.”

“I'm not going to kill anyone.” I said coldly, looking down at my hands.

“Very well.” Dialga nodded. “But if you need to wound a soldier, will you do so?”

I looked back at Nelly and Jayden. I closed my fists and grit my teeth. “Of course.”

“This time, we won't be able to show you the location of the gems by way of visions. The gems are held by the two leaders, and the battleground will be obvious. Whether you choose to fight for one side, or take both on at once is your decision. But be prepared.” Dialga stated.

Just then, a brilliant blue light surrounded the three of us, and began to envelope our bodies. Deep blue, transparent armour formed over our regular clothes, but I didn't feel the weight. In the ground before me, a sword of the same shimmering quality formed. I could see right through it, yet I could lift it by the hilt. The three of us were all suited up in armour, with shields and swords in our hands.