Chapter 6 - United in the Crisis

The time for training was over. All of the team-bonding was done. It was time for the first of our three matches versus Derek Quagmire's side.

It was a perfect, sunny day, and there were no clouds in the sky in Kanto. We were being driven up to the Pokemon League in a bus, but not just any old bus. This bus was blue and had our kits' markings on it, plus, Darragh was driving it. The rows fit two people on each set of seats, and there was a row on either side of the bus. Nelly and I were sat on the right-hand side, third row back. I was looking out of the window, shaking nervously as the bus rattled along the dirt track. Everyone was talking in their pairs in anticipation, fear and excitement. Alexis, Bonnie and Maruki were sat at the front, behind Darragh. They were coming to watch us play, which added a bit more pressure onto everyone's shoulders.

“Darragh, you're the best chauffeur ever!” Etienne pointed out, drawing chuckles from the rest of us. Darragh simply looked back in the mirror and smiled.

We were all in regular clothes on the way there – there were changing rooms in the stadium, apparently. I pulled at the shirt collar around my neck and sighed.

“It'll be ok.” Nelly smiled. “All you can do is your best.”

“Yeah...” I nodded.

Near the front, Sam had stopped talking to Darragh over his shoulder and stood up, holding onto a safety rail.

“Everyone, I hope you're ready for this.” He addressed us all. The reaction was mixed. “Either way, let me go over some things before we get there. If you aren't named in the starting eleven, don't worry. Darragh's allowed to make as many substitutions as he wants in this match, and the other two for that matter. Also, remember to try and not get booked, everyone. Try to avoid late challenges, and don't tackle with your studs facing up.”

We all acknowledged the information and stored it in the back of our minds. “When we go out onto the pitch, we are to shake hands with our opponents and take our positions, ok?” Sam continued.

Not everyone was completely satisfied with that, for good reason, but we knew it was no use arguing.

“Everybody!” Darragh called out. Every person in the vehicle stopped talking and looked at the driver. “Here we are...”

Through the front windscreen, the Pokemon League came into sight, with its massive entrance building looming in the distance. I gently grasped the pendant around my next and took a deep breath. Too late to quit now.

Darragh led us all through the entrance after parking the bus, and we stood behind him holding our kit bags as he went to the reception. There was hardly anyone around there. Our game wasn't for another hour and a half, but perhaps most of the spectators were already in the stadium. “All right, sir, all we need is for you to state your team name and starting eleven on this form.” The man at reception handed Darragh the paper.

“A team name...?” Darragh turned to us. We were all confused. It didn't seem like we needed a team name. I suppose the League wanted this whole thing to be spectacular for their grand opening. Darragh didn't seem to have a name ready, and neither did anybody else. “Uh... Toby!” Nelly's father pointed at me. “What's our team name going to be?”

“Uh...” I recoiled in shock. I closed my eyes, trying to think. “Ah... Um...”

Then a name flashed before my eyes.

“Uh... D... Destiny Angel!” I blurted out.

There was silence as everyone looked at me. Nelly let a little smile creep across her lips and I started to blush.

“All right. Destiny Angel it is.” Darragh wrote the name on the form.

“Interesting.” Skyra commented.