Trying Out Hope

Enjoy!!

Sawyer's POV

She lets go and scoots away from me. She starts to talk to herself. I put my hand on her shoulder. She shrugs it off.

"Midnight, are you okay?" I ask her with unease. She sighs and looks at me, her eyes looking disturbed but the smile on her face makes her eyes look like they are deceiving me.

"I'm fine, Sawyer, I found someone that can actually help us. The thing is though, he's quite a ways away from here," she explains to me intently. I roll my eyes at her statement.

"What's up with all this traveling crap?" I question her. She gets embarrassed and I laugh," I'm just joking with you. When do you want to head out?" She shushes me and we hear some voices from around the house. I peak around and spot Marvin and my father. Midnight notices too.

"Come out later tonight if you find time. I'll meet you out here once the coast it clear, okay?" I nod. She waved goodbye and runs into the forest, getting lost within the bushes and leaves.

I hear their footsteps come to the back of the house. I decided to walk the opposite way and meet them at the door, like an idiot. I find the door wide open and I decide to sit next to it on the floor. The wood creaking beneath me.

While I wait for them to realize I'm here, I start to mess around with my gun. I get bored of it quickly and find a stick in the head. I smart it and return to my spot. I carve random things in the noted before bored and snapping it in pieces and chucking it into the distance.

Finally, one of them appear in the corner of my eyes. It's Marvin, oh thank goodness.

"I give up, he is Nefas' child he should be the one responsi- oh hey there Sawyer! I didn't see you there," he says suddenly as he catches sight of me. I roll my eyes and stand up off the floor.

"I wouldn't go too far away, I couldn't leave you to deal with my father," I inform him. He glares at me but mods anyway.

"Uhhhh huh. Sure, kiddo. Well, now that I found you, let's go inside and wait for your father to come back here," Marvin tells me. I nod and follow him inside.

***Eternal Time Skip***

Marvin tucks me into bed like I'm 7. I tried to convince him I don't need to be touched in but he insisted on doing so. He turns off the light and closes the door, leaving me alone in complete darkness. I wait a few minutes to make sure he left.

I slowly then go to sit up on the bed. I hear footsteps from outside the door and I cool up back into the blankets and face the wall, to make it look like I'm sleeping.

Light seeps through the crack from the door that someone opened. I hear more doorstep, them pausing next to/best my bed. I close my eyes to pretend that I'm sleeping. A hand lands on my exposed arm, it's cold and send shivers over my body.

"Sawyer, are you awake?" It's my father. I don't respond, hoping it makes him leave quicker. I hear him sigh and hear the floors creak, he must've moved in some way.

"I didn't mean to be mean earlier, I just had a... A bad dream." His attempt at apologizing is a joke. It doesn't help that the only two tones he can easily express sounds either threatening or sarcastic.

"I try to protect you, but there are some things that I can't do alone. You'll have to rule someday, it may not be for a long while but you have to learn to survive out there without me. When I have to return top where I used to live. Until then, goodnight Sawyer." He lets go or my arm and walls out of the room. He closes the door and I'm left in the darkness once again.

I slowly slide myself so I'm sitting on my bed before making contact to the floor and standing. I creep over top the window and look for hope to open it. There's locks on it, of course there is.

I grasp each lock in my hand and turn them so they unlock. I pull up the bottom window. The air from outside is cool but I decided to wear my jacket to bed so it doesn't effect me as much. I pop out the screen and I have a clear shot to outside. I turn back and stare at the door.

"See you later, Dad."

I jump out the window and run till the back of the building. Midnight is sitting against the wall, reading some book that I don't recognize. I stare until she notices me. She closes the book and sets it in the floor beside her as she sends up. She then leans down to grab it.

"Couldn't you have just held on to it while you were getting up?" I question her. She shakes her head and walls over to me.

"I didn't want to risk digging it into the dirt, it is an important book," she comments. I give her an unsure look but roll with it anyway, who knows what it even is,"Well, you ready to go?" I nod and she grabs my hand, causing more shivers to cover my body. Holy crap is her hand cold.

"Let's go!" We begins to walk away from the house and along the edge of the forest. Leaves have fallen from the woods and they crunch after our feet as we walk. The wind rattles the trees and blocks out any distant sounds. It feels peaceful here, but that isn't a trait of our world.

"Let's hope we can get there before anyone gets in our way," I say with a sigh. She nods and looks into my eyes with a kind-hearted smile on her face.

"Yeah, let's hope."