Cutting It Close

I was feeling bleh so I haven't been publishing, but I was feeling good today so here ya go! Enjoy!

Sawyer's POV

Her hand is still holding mine with a firm grip. Her hood covering my view of her face. I wonder what she looks like under the robe. Yeah, I can see her face but what requires her to wear it.

My jacket and my pants, now sweatpants, help keep me warm. If anyone saw me like this, they'd probably think that I'm a sort of crappy rapper or something. At least they wouldn't be thinking of me.

We continue on in silence. There are echoes of voices and cries from some town as we pass by, clearly, my father isn't doing his job well. Every scream makes Midnight's hand tighten up in mine and her breathing hitched. She also quickens her pace when she finds it necessary.

We take a turn into town. It's sudden and makes me lose the rhythm in my feet but I recover quickly and put up my hood with my right hand to help hide here.

As we walk through, egos I have never seen before are walking by, talking to others, or just being brutal. I watch someone punch another in the nose and I quicken my pace to Midnight.

After several hours of travel, we stop at a home at the outside of town. The home is vibrant shades of yellow, with circles for windows in many spots.

She lets go of my hand and walks up a small set of white stairs. She knocks on the white and yellow door and waits. I walk over to her side. We stand there patiently and then there is the sounds of heavy footsteps.

Midnight and I take a step back as the door opens. Plot twist, it's BingSepticEye. Baseball cap and all. I look at Midnight with confusion.

"Really, BingSepticEye? How can he help us?" I question her. She glares at me.

"What? You don't trust me? He's the closest thing we have!" She responds, clearly upset with me. Bing clears his throat and Midnight gets embarrassed, so do I actually.

"You do know I'm here... Right?" We nod," well, what do you two need?" I pat Midnight on the back, I don't want to talk to him.

"Well, Bing - Sir- I... I was curious ifff- you'd be able to h-help me and my friend here-"

"You and Sawyer, friends? That's a joke right?" Bing mockingly laughs. I get embarrassed and Midnight glares daggers at him.

"If you make fun of him ever again, I will rip your head from your body and destroy it to a million pieces so you can't speak ever again, and if you find a new head, I will burn this world to the ground, understand?" She says as she grabs him by the collar of his shirt and pulls him off the floor. This catches him off guard. He nods, scared of her, and she drops him to the floor.

"As I was saying. We need help with a spell. It's important for the safety of our world. Will you help us?" He seems too scared to say no. He scrambles to his feet and backs up to the door, now closed.

"Sure thing... Heh heh," he says, nervous and uncomfortable. He welcomes us to his home.

I have never been here before, it looks so cool! The first thing I notice is the smell, it's sterile and mildly strong. Manageable. The next thing is the colors. It's a mix of yellow, white, and black with an occasional mix of orange.

He walks further in and turns around to watch us. I'm standing there in awe, Midnight, however, is seemingly uncomfortable to the coloration, maybe it's just too bright for her.

"Follow me and I'll take you to a more suitable position for this," he informs us. I nod and he leads us to a table in a white room, with windows on two of the walls. He sits on one side of the table while Midnight and I sit on the other.

"So, what's this 'spell' you speak of?" He questions us. Midnight drops the book on the table, flips to the right page, and turns it around to show him.

"It's a spell to bring an ego to the human world. We were hoping to get Sawyer there to make sure he can always be with his father," Midnight informs him, with an added wink to suggest something else. Bing seems to like the idea.

"That sounds awesome, the only problem is, Marvin put a spell on me so I can't use my powers. If we are to do this, we need Marvin to undo the spell," Bing tells us. I nod but stare at him for a hot minute.

"You sure you aren't lying?" I question him. He laughs at my judgment but I pull out my gun and aim it at his mechanical skull.

"Okay okay, fine, I'm lying. There is a spell by Marvin, but there are a few ways to break it," he responds. I nod again and put my gun away. This guy is a pain in the butt.

"Well? How else do we break this spell?" Midnight questions him intently. He glances around, obviously trying to find something. I go to pull out my gun but he spots me and is seemingly scared.

"Okay, okay, okay. Either, death. Kill me, and it will break. Or, get another skilled magic-user to break it, or try to use a spell breaking spell from your book and hope it doesn't get us killed," he blurts out. Midnight and stare at the book. She shuffles through it and I watch. She stops at page 149. There it has a spell, front and back, that needs to be read and that's it. 

"Midnight, do it," I say as I look her in the eyes and nod. She closes her eyes, sighs, and opens them again. She grasps both sides of the book with her hands and carefully reads the spell out loud. 

As she reads, a dark cloud swirls around the room. It goes in circles before circling around Bing. Once Midnight finishes reading the book, she drops it to the table. The dark cloud explodes and goes into thin air. 

Bing is still sitting in his chair. He stands up and does a few... Magical things. When he's done, he looks back at us with a smile.

"Thank you guys! Now, about that spell?"