How To Be a Professional Child

Today is the first day of summer vacation and I'm already slacking on my schedule. My phone didn't go off so I sort of forgot to publish until bedtime... at least it's out now. Enjoy!

Sawyer's POV

My Father walks me back to Marvin's place with an unusual smile on his face. I try to ignore how uncomfortable it makes me and instead focus on the scenery and the walk back.

We pass through the same areas as I did previously. This time there's are more people out and about, seemingly riled up from my gunshot.

Some just watch us two in disbelief. It looks to be as if they really thought we were dead.

Dad wraps an arm around my shoulders and squeezes as we leave the company of strangers.

"Where have you been Dad?" I ask him. He looks back at me, his expression seems uncomfortable.

"I have been... Searching for something," He tells me. I stare at him in disbelief.

"Searching for what?" I question him. He shakes his head and looks away from me.

"It's isn't necessary information," he tells me. I huff and fold my arms in annoyance. He lets out a laugh and I hit him with my elbow. He chuckles and elbows me back.

"You're so childish sometimes," he comments. I just kind of smirk at that.

"Well I am a child. What's your excuse?" I comment back. He laughs some more stuff that and shrugs.

"Well, kid, your sixteen. That's when humans can learn to drive cars. Humans your age are more worried about relationships than jokes. Maybe you should be too," he Inquires. I give him an annoyed look and he doesn't seem fazed by it.

"Since when would you let me have a friend my age? Heck, when would you let me have a girlfriend?! Anyone that could be my friend you have killed because you thought they would corrupt my head. You're just a psychopathic hypocrite!" I yell at him. He seems stunned by my sudden outburst.

"Well, they never mattered anyway. All they would do is taint a perfect image. You should be glad that I took away their influence. It makes it easier for you to be perfect," He replies with a demonic grin on his face.

I look at him in working before pushing him to the ground and running the rest of the way back to Marvin's home.

...

"You can't escape from me that easily!" My Dad forms in front of me like a forming glitch on a computer screen. I pause my walk and even run back away from him.

"Why try to catch me? All you're doing is wasting time," I mock him, attempting to get him out of my way. He snickers at my comment.

"You disrespected me for the last time!" He yells. He pulls out his knife and faces it at me.

"I was being honest! You obviously had more important things to do then to lead me back to Marvin's place. If what your doing is more important than me, then maybe you shouldn't have me around," I yell out in all honesty. He squints his eyes as he thinks about what I said.

After about a minute, he puts down his knife and slams it into the ground. He motions with his fingers telling me to go to him. I hesitantly follow. I stop about two steps away. He looks at me with an expression of annoyance.

"You have another chance to prove yourself again. Stay at Marvin's. I'll come back when we have something planned. Is that a deal?" He asks me as he holds out his hand. I grasp his hand with mine and firmly shake it. He nods and let's go and walks out of my way of Marvin's house.

"Enjoy the visit Sawyer," he says with a smile.

"I will," I say as a smile forms on my face and I bolt away from Dad and to Marvin.

As I near his house, I find him standing outside waiting for me. He holds his arms out and I hug him tightly.

"Sawyer what were you doing? I thought that they would have taken you," he smiles, happy to know I didn't die.

"Well, at least I ran into Father then an Anti hater," I say as a joke and laugh. He laughs too and holds me close.

"That's good. Wait, where's Anti?" He questions me. I shrug it off and let go of our hug. A cold breeze comes past and I shiver slightly.

"It's getting chilled outside. Let's get you a jacket, okay?"

"Sounds good to me." He opens the front door and I rub my arms as I walk inside.

The house feels warm and oddly comfortable. I walk over to the couch and take a seat. Marvin walks past and heads upstairs to the closet.

As I sit there and wait, I notice the laptop sitting on the coffee table. I hesitate but I open it anyway and power it on. On the screen is a new tab. The background is a pic of Marvin. Of course it is.

I open the library of files, looking to see if there's anything here. I find a file called ideas.png. I double click it to reveal a picture with scribbled on doodles, with some arrows and messy handwriting.

I look at it very carefully to see that it's a plan about something that includes me and Zora.

I hear Marvin's footsteps and I snack the laptop closed and push it aside. He walks to me and offers me the jacket.

"There you go kid. Picked your favorite color," he says as I grab the orange jacket from him.

"Thanks Marvin," I thank. He nods and smiles at me.

"You're welcome." He looks over at the clock on the wall and then back at me.

"I'll go make us food. You must be starving after that," he laughs and walks to the kitchen.

"Sounds nice." I continue sitting on the couch. All possible feelings of hunger have left me. That really shouldn't have happened.