The Art of Silence

Heyo! So I haven't been writing much for this story but I'm getting there. Enjoy!

Sawyer's POV

"Here you go kid."

In front of me sits a steaming hot plate of mac and cheese Marvin made. Marvin sits down his own plate on the table and sits across from me. The room is a pale blue, the table a small one with only space for four people.

He grabs the salt and sprinkle some onto his plate. I awkwardly grab my fork and play around with the noodles.

"Are you ok Sawyer? You seem disturbed," Marvin comments on my actions as he takes a bite.

"Dad made me shoot someone," I mutter. I stab a noodle with the fork and awkwardly put it in my mouth.

"Oh no. Who did you shoot?" He asks with concern in his voice.

"Not someone you would know. She was walking me to the castle. Didn't think I would make it on my own or some crap like that," I tell him. He gives me an annoyed look while preparing another bite.

"What was her name?" He asks me.

"Serenity."

"That a name I never thought I'd hear again," Marvin remarks as he takes another bite.

"Really? Why?" I ask him.

"She was one of Anti's love interests. If not then the only one. Her and Anti were together long before we breached to this world, but that's a story for another time," he says as he gets up from the table and grabbing his plate that's barely half eaten.

"Why leave? You're not even halfway done. Just tell me the story. I'm old enough to understand these things and I won't take it the wrong way," I say to him as I stand up as well pushing the chair far behind me. He listens and then sits back, as do I.

"Sawyer, it's a long story. Well, Serenity isn't the average ego-"

"She told me she's a combination of two humans. Is that correct?" I inquire. He looks at me with a slight look of shock.

"Y-yeah she is. Was formed long before her humans were born. About three years ahead of them. That isn't something you see everyday. But back then, only the worst of the worst, or the best of the best, were formed long before being seen by humanity. Some include Malus, your father, me, Serenity, and a few others. Us four are the only ones still around today. The others... They're gone," he stops at a whisper and looks upset. I lean over the table and rub his shoulder.

"It's okay Marvin, but we're they banished outside the barriers?" I ask him. Being sent outside the barrier is basically sentencing someone to death, but with something slow. It would cause people to go crazy and eventually kill/eat themselves and others. Outside the barrier is a scary place. Thank goodness we didn't run into any crazies out there when meeting Malus.

"Yeah. Malus couldn't stand them, and Anti just found joy in tormenting them. So most preferred to go outside. Sometimes they would come back if needed for a video, but besides that they are insane and long gone," he says with a sigh and removes my hand from his shoulder.

"Wow. Well, what exactly happened?" I question him.

"We couldn't agree on a ruler. So Anti and Malus went at it and created their own worlds. By default I was sent to this one with your father and Serenity. They always did everything together. Until one night I noticed Serenity was sneaking out to see someone, about a year after you were born. I told Anti and he banished her to our underworld. Whoever her side man was I guess saved her from it and brought her back. Figured she would've at least stayed out of sight from most of us if she didn't want to get shot," he responds. I nod in assent and watch him get another bite.

"So, that's it? Nothing else besides what I got happened?" I question him. He simply nods and takes another bite.

"You're lying to me. I can see it on your face!"

"You can't even see half of my face. What you could be seeing is a figment of your imagination. Just an illusion set up by your mind," he remarks with an eerie tone. I stand up and slam my hands onto the table.

"There's got to be more to it! There has to be! You said it's a long story, so why tell me the simple short version? You leave out details that way. Why? I just need to know!" I yell out and slam my hands onto the table again, this time causing a small crack in the wood.

"Sawyer, calm down. Being violent is never the answer. Just calm down-"

"No, your just trying to keep secrets from me. That's all you do. To try to 'keep me safe.' The only thing you manage is giving me something to do. My father will beat me down and yell at me that I am not good enough, and all you do is watch. There is something in you that stops you from helping me. What is it?!" I growl at him now. All the anger that has built up in me flowing out through my words like a waterfall. All the anger blurs up my vision a bit, but I can't care about it now.

He remains silent. The fire in me grows stronger and I turn around and punch a hole into the wall. My knuckles start to hurt and I notice some start bleeding.

I hear a chair skid against the floor, air rushing around me, my body held tight against the wall.

Unable to move. Unable to see. Unable to breathe. My vision begins to blue. An immense pain radiates from a spot along the veins on my arm. I'm unable to feel anything in my body.

As I can feel myself fade into an internal darkness, I can hear Marvin's voice for one last time.

"You messed with the wrong ego my friend."