Chapter 27

Song is Don't you ever forget about me by Sleeping with Sirens.

---------------------------------------------------

*Jess's POV*

In thirty minutes it'd be midnight. In thirty minutes it'd be one year since David sacrificed his life for me. I was the only one awake. I didn't want to sleep. I couldn't bring myself to sleeping. I was scared I'd relive that moment again if I closed my eyes. I was scared I'd see him in my arms, life draining out of his body with every second that passed. I brought my knees up to my chest. Tears had already began rolling down my cheeks. This wasn't fair. He shouldn't have left. He had so much going for him. God, why was I such an idiot? I made a perfect night into a horrifying memory in a blink of an eye. I just can't bring myself to believing this is all real. My brain won't process it. I tell myself he's just gone, but not gone gone. That he'll be back soon. I was still in denial. I will never be able to accept the fact that he's dead. I started sobbing into my knees softly. I didn't want to wake up my family. They all believed I've finally moved on. They think I've forgotten him, but I haven't. I opened my hand in which I had a picture of David and I when we were younger. I wiped my tears away to look at the picture better. He was eight and I was seven. I had lost both of my front teeth and he had lost one of his front teeth. I laughed quietly. Nothing could've torn us apart. We were the best of friends. I softly kissed the photo and brought it to my heart. I looked up and cried.

"Why'd you leave me David? You promised me you wouldn't." I said out loud. "You promised." I whispered. I heard footsteps. I quickly wiped my tears and went under my covers. I heard my door open.

"Jess?" It was Shane. He came and sat on the edge of my bed. "I must've been hearing things. David really now is in the past." Shane said to talking to himself. He started crying. It broke my heart to hear Shane crying. I peeked over at him. He had his elbows on his knees. His head hanging, crying. I crawled out under my covers and went over to him. I hugged him from behind. He was startled.

"Jess." He croaked. "You're awake. So I'm not crazy." He said wiping his face.

"No, you're not and David isn't in the past either." I said as I sat next to him and put my head on his shoulder. He hugged me and buried his face into my hair, softly crying. I cried into his shoulder. I looked over to my clock. It'd be midnight any second now. The recording David sent me when we had an argument was going to play on my phone. I have saved anything that was from David. I couldn't bring myself to deleting them. I'd be deleting my life with a click of a button.

"Jess, I hope you remember this song. It's our song, the creepy and cute one."

Don't you ever forget about me.

When you toss and turn in your sleep, I hope it's because you can't stop thinking about the reasons why you close your eyes, I haunt your dreams at night.

So you can't stop thinking about me.

Do you really think you could see this through.

Put on a smile and wear it for someone new.

Don't you do it.

'Cause I know I'm not the easiest one to love, but every ounce I had, I invest in you.

But no one said love's not for taking chances.

"Jess, don't believe what Rosie said. I love you."

I hugged Shane tightly and sobbed. He hugged me tightly and swayed back and forth as if he was carrying a baby, trying to get it to sleep. I ended falling asleep in Shane's arm, like a baby.