FORTY-FOUR [UNEDITED]

"So, we all agree?" Caroline asked, as Aurelia walked down to her right, next to another girl with blonde, curly hair. "No more moping about life's little failures and no more dabbling the dark arts of boyfriends past. This is a fresh start."

"Couldn't agree more." Elena said. "I happen to love fresh starts."

"Um, I haven't been moping or dabbling." Bonnie said, talking about her and Jeremy's relationship.

"No one likes a bragger, Bonnie." Caroline said. Aurelia stopped when she saw the girl's purse.

"Hey, can I...?" She trailed off, and the girl, took her pouch, before throwing it to the ground, showing an attitude. Aurelia raised an eyebrow, taking a seat. "Thanks." She said.

"Aurelia!" She heard Caroline say. "You need to listen, because you desperately need a distraction from you and Stefan kissing." Elena widened her eyes, looking at Aurelia.

"Y-You and Stefan kissed?" She asked in disbelief. "When?"

"On my birthday." Aurelia said, looking at the brunette weirdly, who sat back in her seat.

"Today is the dawning of a new era." Caroline said. "This is stage one of our metamorphosis into the land of the brave, the free, and the single."

"Bonnie's not single." Elena said.

"Bonnie's friends are single, which makes her single adjacent. SO, she can be our wing woman." Caroline said, pulling out a flyer and handing it to Aurelia.

"Whitmore's Annual Bitter ball." The heretic read. "A night to celebrate broken hearts, jittered lovers, and bitter singles. This is our fresh start?" She asked.

"No. This is our purge, our cleanse. This is where we rid ourselves from the baggage better known as our tragic and mortifying first semester."

"I'll drink to that." Elena said, as Aurelia turned back around to look at the girl, who was twirling her pen around with her finger.

However, Aurelia looked at the pen in shock as it began to rotate by itself, as the girl's hand hovered over it. She let out a soft gasp.

A witch.

The girl heard her, and finally faced her, before slamming down on the pen to make it stop. Aurelia was shocked by something else- the girl's face.

She reminded her of someone. Her brother, Magnus.

"Aurelia!" Caroline exclaimed, snapping her out of her thoughts. "You in?" Aurelia looked at the flyer, before sighing.

"Sure." She said.

!

"Hello." Aurelia said into the phone. "I hope you're having a boring day."

"And why is that?" Stefan asked.

"Because I need a friend to join me for this bitter ball at Whitmore or something. Caroline's forcing me." She groaned dramatically.

"Oh, I don't know." He said. "I've already been through the whole college thing. Twice."

"Eight times here, Stefan." Aurelia sang. "Please. I have good booze, which we will be sharing afterwards."

"Fine... I'll see ya there. It's a platonic date." Aurelia grinned.

"Can't wait for my platonic date in a suit." She teased. "Bye."

"Bye." He cut the call, and she went to her next class.

!

"Aw, Stefan's going to be your date to a bitter ball." Caroline said, before she looked at Aurelia with a puzzled expression. "Wait, what?"