TWENTY-TWO [UNEDITED]

"What do you mean, 'you took her to New York'?" Stefan asked Damon over the phone in disbelief. Aurelia walked into the room at that moment, and a look of surprise crossed her face. Stefan walked to her, and pointed at the side of her lip, before taking out a paper towel from a table and handing it to her.

She frowned, placing her finger on the spot he pointed at, before realizing in was blood. She quickly wiped it away, before taking the phone from Stefan and setting it on speaker.

"Where's Elena?" He asked.

"Out exploring. Maybe, she's eating a hot dog... vendor."

"So you're trying to say that your search for Katherine is off." Aurelia said.

"Good morning, 'Lia." Damon said. "As for your question, this little joyride is really a search for the cure."

"And Elena's fine with this? Yesterday, she was living the vampire high life-" Aurelia interrupted Stefan.

"Which, mind you, is a rollercoaster no one would want to get off." She said.

"I know that, and it's why I didn't tell her."

"Damon, if she finds out you're still looking for it, she'll bolt." Stefan stated.

"I'm aware of that, Stefan." Damon assured. "What I'm hoping is that she's going to be so wasted on blood and booze that she won't even think about it."

"Yeah, and what I'm hoping for is that you actually get lucky with that." Aurelia said, unable to believe that Damon's plan would work. "Do you even know how cunning she is?! She'll find out, and trick you into telling her everything. The worst part: you won't even know that anything even happened!"

"If I can handle Stefan when he flipped his switch, I can handle her. Trust me."

"Listen to me." Stefan said. "She's ruthless without her humanity. The cure is the fastest way to get it back."

"Just be a good duo and keep Mystic Falls afloat for me and let me do my thing." There was a pause. "You've got an immortal named Silas to deal with, remember?"

Aurelia groaned as Damon cut the call, before spinning around and falling onto the couch. "Why is life so pissing off?" She asked, her voice slightly muffled by the pillow.

"I don't even know." Stefan said, taking a seat on the couch as well. "And it's been annoying for the past two years."

"I actually pity you." She said, turning her head so her cheek was pressed up against the pillow. "Aren't we supposed to be out an about saving the world right now?"

"I've made a few arrangements, and it's safe to say that we have a few minutes of peace." He explained, before she sat up, looking at him.

"What kind of arrangements?" She asked.

"You'll see." Was all he said. "How's the blood thing going?" He asked.

"Well, to say the least." She said. "Matt's been nice enough to lend me a few drops once a day. Keeps me weak, but at least I don't desiccate, right?"

"Yep." He stated. "What's today's date, by the way?"

"March 28th." Aurelia said, before she stopped, her gaze moving to the daylight ring on her finger as she played with it.

"Sounds familiar, doesn't it?" He said, the ghost of a smile on his lips. "148 years ago, huh?" He asked. She let a soft laugh escape her lips.

"We were so young then." She said. "You were only 16."