V

"Fuck, fuck, fuck" I muttered while I rushed to get ready for my date with Kendall. I'd never been this nervous to go out with someone before so I wanted to look my absolute best, but the school makeup policy was blatantly stopping me from doing just that so I wore a little more eyeshadow than usual and a little more highlight. I saw Kylie's car pulling up to my drive so I grabbed my bag, ran out of the front door and got into her car as fast as I could.

"Hey speedy" she laughed and started driving down the street

"Hey, I was getting ready and I didn't realise what time it was"

"You're on time, don't sweat it" she shrugged "nervous for your date tonight?"

"Yes, actually" I said

"Why? Kendall hounded me all of last night to help her pick out something to wear so I told her to wear something that she feels comfortable in so I'm sorry but you're going out with a girl in some black jeans and a band tee"

"I think she's cute" I said

"She thinks you're cute too. She wants to take you to a place she's never taken anyone else before, so if she murders you I'm sorry" she joked

"Shut up, I'm just nervous in case she's not like I thought she'd be or something" I sighed

"Woah, what do you mean? Kendall is always herself, I even told her to consciously be herself. And not expect sex on the first date which she was a little mad about but I reminded her that you're not a slut"

"Thanks"

"No problem" she said

~

All the way through English I was fidgeting around in silence, but that didn't draw any attention to me because Miss Jensen's classroom was always silent, no matter who was in her class or what we were doing that lesson. In the last five minutes, I looked up and saw Kendall waiting outside, leaning against some lockers and wiggling her eyebrows at me. Kylie bumped her leg into mine and nodded to her, and I shook my head and looked at the floor. "Does anyone have another point about how the theme of love is presented in the play Romeo and Juliet?" Miss Jensen asked and everyone made sure not to make eye contact with her in case she picked them. "Miss Healy, you haven't contributed this lesson so far, give it a shot"

"Love is presented as..." I trailed off and flashed my eyes to Kendall who seemed entertained by the lesson she was listening to, judging by her little smile "um... pure?"

"You've made your point, now you have to explore the point by using examples from the text" she said

"There is a lot of black and white imagery when they talk about each other-"

"Who is they?"

"Romeo and Juliet" I said. I was holding back the urge to say something sarcastic the whole time, but I didn't want to hold my date up any further so I played ball "when Romeo and Juliet talk about each other, a lot of light imagery is used and light is linked to purity so their love for each other is pure from the beginning when they first see each other at the party"

"Can you find a quote from the page we've been working with today to back up your point? Every good point needs an example"

I scanned over the page and I was feeling really stupid, why did she have to do this when Kendall could hear the lesson? "She doth teach the torches to burn bright" I said

"And how does that link?"

"She's brighter than the light from torches and puts their light to shame" I said

"That was excellent, contribute with more intelligent points please Miss Healy" she nodded and the bell rang "stay behind please, Sofia"

"Oh, I have a... thing" I said