Chapter Eight

The stars were twinkling overhead, the stars twinkled like a thousand diamonds. It was always a sight, as well as the sounds of the night were amazing. Some nights the sounds were like a choir, but on nights like tonight, they were as quiet as could be. Not a sound could be herd aside from the occasional thrum of a passing ship.

It was late in this quiet night, and the Inn was asleep. Zeizei was curled up on her bed, her wings wrapped around herself, her eyes shut. Her crimson, half-shaven hair fell about her peaceful face as she yawned and tossed and turned. She pulled the covers around herself as she snuggled up to the pillows. Sarah was also asleep, snoozing happily, while BEN was in a shut down in the kitchen. Hell, even Morph was asleep.

There was only one soul who was awake, and that was Jim Hawkins. He sat at the empty table, his hair a tussled mess. He was dressed in a loose top and pants, his face worn from lack of sleep. Thoughts plagued the young man's mind. He sighed and ran a hand over his face, before he shuffled into the kitchen and reached clumsily to the shelf for a mug.

Jim found one, and moved over to the sink to pour himself a glass. He then dragged himself back to the table and slumped into the chair before taking a long swig of water. Jim pulled the glass from his lips and let his head rest on the cool table, as his beautiful eyes looked out to the window to the stars shining overhead. Today would mark three years. Three years since he watched that old Cyborg fly away in the Legacy's last Long Boat. Three years since he watched the closest thing he ever had to a father leave . . . again.

Jim often hoped he'd walk downstairs in the morning and see him working in the kitchen. His mechanical arm clicking and whirring away. Heh. Fantasy. Delusion. But it never stopped Jim from having that spark, that wisp of a prayer for his return.

Jim felt his jaw clench as tears brimmed his eyes, he reached up and wiped the corners of his eyes aggressively, frustrated with himself. Why was he crying over this? Why?! Jim sniffled as he looked out the window again, his lower lip trembling.

Jim was suddenly brought out of his wallowing of self-pity when he herd a ship. That wasn't uncommon, this was an inn, ships came and went. Jim payed it no mind and took a sip of water, before he tensed up again, hearing the door to the inn creak open.

The young man shot to his feet and whirled to the door, he saw a figure there, shrouded in darkness. Jim listened to the steps. His eyes slowly widened upon hearing a familiar pattern.

The distinct sound of a boot thudding on wood floor, followed by a metallic off-step. The figure was huge, with broad shoulders, a beer belly and a glowing cybernetic eye. Jim gasped, his limbs froze, unable to move, he knew that figure, he knew him so damn well.

the figure came into the moon light to reveal an ursid, with a cybernetic eye, big nose and a small smile, "Jimbo." he greeted, "Look at'cha. Ye be a man." he smirked.

Jim gasped, then gulped back his tears, "Silver?" he asked.

John Silver held out his big arms. "Aye." He said lowly, "An' ye be glowin' like a solar fire."

Jim gasped, breathless, before he hugged the old cyborg, "Silver!" he exclaimed.

Silver hugged back, engulfing Jim in a big bear hug, his eyes sealed shut as tears brimmed his twinkling eyes. Jim couldn't stop as a tear or two slid free from his eyes and ran down his cheeks, his hands digging into his black tail coat.

When the two parted, Silver put both hands on Jim's shoulders, and smiled at him with a chuckle, "Didn't I tell ye?" he said softly, "You were going to rattle the stars."

Jim chuckled and scratched the back of his neck, "Well, I have a good teacher." he said.

Silver chuckled lowly and tussled his hair with his good hand, "Ah, c'mon now, Jimbo." he joked, "Yer makin' me blush."

Jim chuckled, before he looked up, "What are you doing here?" he asked.

Silver seated himself in a chair and looked over at him, "Tell ye tha' truth, Jimbo, I owed ye a visit, don't I?" he cocked a brow, his mechanical eye gleaming.

Jim blinked, "W-well, I thought you were in hiding, at least that's what the rumors say." he retorted.

Silver let out a bark of his classic belly laughter, "Oh, Jimbo, you know better than to believe all the stuff ye hear." he said.

That's when a voice came from behind Jim, making him lock up, "What da devil n' all t'ings holy be goin' on?!"

Jim whirled to see Zeizei and Morph standing in the doorway, Zeizei in a brown loose cap sleeve blouse and shorts--also barefoot-- while Morph hovered by her shoulder. Jim instantly got between the winged alien and Silver, holding up his arms,

"Whoa, whoa, Zeizei, chill out!" he exclaimed, "This is John Silver, the guy I was talking about." he explained.

Zeizei cocked a brow, as her wings lowered, and Moph gave a happy squeal, zipping over to the old cyborg.

"Morphy!" Silver exclaimed happily, reaching up and scratching the pink shapeshifting, "Ye be takin' good care o' Jimbo?" he asked with a huge grin.

"Aye, sir!" Morph babbled as he nuzzled up to Silver's cheek, making the old cyborg laugh.

Zeizei blinked in surprise, before a smile pulled across her lips. She shook her head and turned to leave, allowing Jim and Silver to catch up, when Silver looked over at her.

"And who ye be, Lass?" he asked.

The wound in Zeizei's middle throbbed as she turned to him, "I'm Zeizei." she said simply, "I uh . . . stumbled me way here on account of that I'd been hurt." she said.

Silver blinked, "Oh." he then stood up and hobbled over to her, "N' why was ye hurt?"

"Runin' from . . . enemies." Zeizei said carefully, "I have a few."

Jim spoke up, "You also have that map, right?"

"A map, ya say?" Silver rubbed his chin, "Where does it lead?"

Zeizei tensed up again, "I be hopin' to wherever I be from." she said, looking away, before she sighed and brightened her expression, "Now, I'll be off to bed. You two get reacquainted. We be continuin' this in the' mornin'."

Zeizei vanished up the stairs leaving Jim and Long John Silver to catch up, and reconnect.

Jim's father figure had finally returned after three long years.