chapter ten: illusion

"Is there anything you want to tell us about your girlfriend?" Fury asked with his arms crossed.

When you were the first person that came to mind, Peter turned red a little. Hill noticed Peter's reaction. "He's talking about E.D.I.T.H."

"Look, I know I made a mistake, and I'm sorry, but he is not who you think he is," Peter said, causing Fury and Hill to exchange looks. "Beck is a liar. Mysterio, the Elementals, it's all fake. He has some sort of illusion tech, and that's how he tricked you guys and he tricked me into giving him E.D.I.T.H."

In order to give them a better look, Peter set the projector down and slid it in their direction. "It's a projector. I pulled it off the fire monster in Prague."

"So all that death and destruction we witnessed was created by this?" Fury questioned, getting more confused.

Peter shook his head. "No, not just this. I think he's using the drones."

"Well, if this is true, then Beck's very dangerous, and we need to be smart," Fury said, glancing at Hill, who walked away to let out a sigh and looked at the view in fear. Fury turned to Peter. "Who else did you tell about this?"

But Peter failed to listen or respond. His spider-sense was tingling. "Parker? Parker!" Fury called out. Peter turned to Fury and closed his goggles. "What's wrong?"

"It's Beck," Peter informed. "He's here."

Fury furrowed his eyebrows. "What?" He looked around and noticed that the projection of the whole building was fading away, as was Hill. "Hill?"

"No, it's just an ill—" Peter tried to notify Fury but was cut off by a gunshot. Fury was shot. "Fury!" Peter exclaimed.

"Wow, Peter. Wow." The vacated building echoed with Beck's voice. As Peter turned to face the drones, he saw that they were all pointed at him. "I thought we were close."

"Fury always had to die. But not you."

"Stop hiding, Beck!" Peter shot a web at a drone, but it turned out to be an illusion.

"I tried to help you walk away. Now you're making me do this." Peter noticed that his surroundings had become his school. As Mysterio approached, Peter attempted to launch a web at him, but instead, his web-shooters spat forth green smoke. When Peter tried to punch him, he hit a pillar instead. "You told me you wanted to run after that girl."

"Help!"

Peter's eyes widened when he immediately recognized your voice, calling for help. "(Y/n)!"

Leaping through a broken door, he discovered he was perched on the Eiffel Tower. The door tipped over, and he watched it fall. "Peter? What's going on?" When Peter turned to face his side, he noticed that you looked frightened and puzzled.

"I know this isn't real." Peter attempted to approach you in an attempt to console you, but the moon behind you turned into Mysterio. "Do you, though?"

Mysterio grabbed your neck and lifted you, suffocating you. "Peter—" You tried to say anything, but Mysterio dropped you before you had the chance to try and grab Peter, making you scream. "Peter!"

"(Y/N)!" Peter shouted as he leaped to save you. Peter barely brushed your fingertips with his own, but he struck the ground hard instead.

"I don't think you know what's real, Peter." Beck continued as Peter was dragged into a new place. Peter found himself presently in front of a building that had the word QUEENS illuminated on it. Mysterio's massive fist erupted from the entryway of the building and struck Peter.

Peter began to descend, hitting any webs that were in his path until the illusion faded. "You need to wake up!" Peter was thrown out of the abandoned building and crashed into a nearby car. Peter groaned in pain. He looked up to see drones coming after him but became invisible when another illusion appeared.