chapter seventeen: college admissions

"We're covering the first day of senior year for Midtown High's most famous student, Peter Parker!" You heard Betty Brant's cheery voice broadcasting for Midtown High. "Go get 'em, Tiger! Or should I say, Spider?"

Your eyes slowly widened to see hundreds of people crowding the building. "Oh, my God..." You softly gasped.

"The crowd has continued to grow here all morning long at the Midtown School of Science..." You heard a reporter state. "The crowd seems evenly divided between supporters of Spider-Man and protesters."

Peter glanced at you in worry as you both walked while Ned, Michelle, and Flash were behind. You gave him a knowing look before intertwining your fingers with his.

"MJ! MJ, we love you!" Michelle looked away from discomfort as she glanced at Ned.

"(Y/n), are you gonna have his spider-babies?" One person asked, causing you to hold Peter's hand tighter. Peter slightly sent a glare to the guy who asked before continuing to walk. "Just look away and don't listen to them." You whispered to Peter.

"Mysterio forever!"

"Murderer!"

"(Y/n), you know he's a murderer, right?"

"Do a flip!"

One guy pushed his way out to try and ask Peter an inappropriate question. "Hey! Did you and (Y/n) kiss?"

Ned stopped in his tracks, sending a glare to the man in anger. "Back off!"

One woman noticed him. "Who are you?"

Ned blinked in surprise. "I'm Ned Leeds. I'm Spider-Man's—"

"Peter Parker's best friend." Ned turned around to see Flash by his side, defending him. "You come at my boy? You come at Flash Thompson. If you wanna read about our inspiring friendship, you can now with my new book, Flashpoint." He pulled out his own book with his face on its cover. "One spider, two hearts, a million crazy-ass memories. Check it out."

Ned shook his head incredulously before walking away from Flash while Flash followed behind.

The officers checked on Peter first before pushing him away from you. "Go. Go, go, go. Go!"

Peter glanced at you as he shook his head at the lady officer. "No, I gotta wait up..."

When the officers didn't allow him, Peter looked at you. "I'll see you inside, okay?" You nodded as the officers started checking you.

Peter entered the school and heard Betty's voice through the speakers. "Keep watching Midtown News all year as we bring you up close and personal coverage of Peter fighting his biggest battle yet: college admissions."

Peter sighed until he almost stopped walking when he found his three teachers. Behind them was a small shrine dedicated to him. He stopped as Julius Dell started talking nervously. "Peter. We would love to... welcome you back... to Midtown High."

As Dell continued talking, Peter noticed his gym teacher, Coach Andre Wilson, giving him a death glare. Dell cleared his throat. "Where we shape heroes."

Roger Harrington nodded while raising his arm up to point the small shrine. "Yeah. Uh-huh."

"Or murderers," Wilson added.

"Stop it." Harrington scolded. He looked back at Peter; his voice was monotone from nervousness. "It's an honor to serve you..." He saluted Peter. "...sir."

"He's not—" Wilson groaned in frustration. "Mysterio was right. Mysterio was ri—"

"Stop," Harrington warned before looking again at Peter to continue their small gratitude for him. "Some of the students put this together for you." Dell nodded along as he pointed the shrine again.