chapter nineteen: the undercroft

"I can't believe I'm in the Sanctum Sanctorum." Ned gasped in delight as he and Michelle entered the Sanctum.

"Neither can I." Stephen monotonously replied.

"So... how did you know you're made of magic?" Ned began questioning Stephen. "Because my nanna says that we have it in our family, and sometimes I get these tinglings in my hand..."

"You should talk to your physician," Stephen suggested before walking up the stairs.

"(Y/n)!" Michelle ran towards you and hugged you tightly, causing you to chuckle and hug her back. "Didn't know you could be this affectionate, MJ."

"Shut up." Michelle pulled away and waved at Peter. "Hey."

"Hi." Peter greeted back. "Look, I'm so sorry for dragging you in this. You just gotta help me find these guys..."

"You don't have to apologize." Michelle shook her head. "You got us a second shot at MIT. You even got (Y/n) a shot for having a scholarship, yet she has loads of money."

You playfully rolled your eyes while Ned approached you three. "So, how did the bad guys get here?"

"He screwed up a spell trying to get you into college," Stephen replied instead of Peter. You, Michelle, and Ned looked at Peter. Michelle and Ned started questioning Peter. "Wait, what?"

"You did it with magic?"

You remained quiet as you looked away from Peter while Peter shook his head. "Uh, no, that was after. Let's just focus on the good news, okay?"

"No, let's just focus on the bad news," Stephen stated as he looked down at the four of you while he was on the second floor. "As of now, you have detected zero multiversal trespassers. So... get on your phones, scour the internet, and... Scooby-Doo this shit!"

You frowned as you crossed your arms. "So cranky, Doctor Wizard." You replied. "You kiss your mother or girlfriend with that mouth?"

Stephen snapped his head to you. "Hey, I don't have a gi—"

"You're telling us what to do, even though it was your spell that got screwed up," Michelle told Stephen. "Meaning that all of this is kind of your mess. You know, I know a couple of magic words myself, starting with the word 'please'."

You smirked at your best friend as Peter, Michelle, and Ned looked at Stephen, waiting for his response. "Please, Scooby-Doo, this shit." Stephen forced a smile before sighing. "You can work in the undercroft."

"The undercroft?" Ned gasped. The four of you started making your way to the undercroft below the Sanctum. Peter would take glances at you since it's been a while since you two talked. When the four of you arrived at the place, Ned opened the light and gasped. "Badass."

The place was small, but it was enough space to work. The room was filled with antiques and ancient objects, causing Ned to drop his bag and grab a crossbow. On the other side of the room, you saw where the two bad guys were locked up. You glanced at the man with metallic tentacles before shaking your head and setting your bag down.

Peter approached you. "(Y/n), listen. About this whole spell thing..."

You sighed. "It's... totally okay."

Peter blinked his eyes in surprise. "Wait, really? You're not mad?"

"Yeah." You gave him a small smile. "I mean, I get it. You were... just trying to fix things..." You held his hand and pressed your lips together to form a thin line. "...maybe just run it by us next time, you know?"

Peter stared at you while you continued. "That way, when you're thinking about doing something that could... break the universe, we could like, help you or brainstorm ideas." You looked at him and placed your hand on his cheek. "I just don't want you to do this alone. You have us, okay?"