chapter sixteen: late night call

"Stark Industries was caught in the web of the Spider-Man/Mysterio controversy today when federal agents opened an investigation into missing Stark technology. The agents wanna know exactly what was taken..."

You slumped down to your seat as you stared helplessly at the television screen. "God, I had to sneak my suit out so the agents wouldn't confiscate it."

You and Happy were visiting Peter and May to listen to his lawyer. While Peter's lawyer was busy talking on his phone, Happy cringed at the sight of his picture being viewed on the television screen. "At least they used a good picture."

Peter grabbed your hand as he stared at the screen. "What is happening?" He whispered. He glanced at you, and you were caressing the necklaces he had given you back in Europe. He noticed a few changes you made to the necklace, which caused him to smile. "Are you okay?"

"Nervous." You gulped. "Anxious. I don't know. This whole thing is stressing me out."

"Me too." Peter sighed. "How could I have been so careless?"

"That's great. Thank you." Matthew Murdock, Peter's lawyer, sat back down in his chair as he ended the call. "Well, I have some good news, Peter. I don't believe any of the charges against you are gonna stick." He smiled.

Peter gasped. "Wait, seriously?"

May and Happy chuckled in relief as May slammed her fist while Happy grinned at Peter. "Oh, I knew it."

You sighed in contentment and held Peter's hand. Peter smiled at Matt. "Oh, my God, Mr. Murdock. Thank you."

"Thank you, Matt." May thanked Matt as well.

"That's amazing."

"You're welcome." Matt nods. "However... Mr. Hogan?" Your smile dropped when Matt mentioned Happy's name.

Happy turned to Matt. "Yes?"

"The feds are actively investigating the missing technology." Peter looked at Happy in confusion. "I understand you're loyal to Mr. Stark and his legacy, but if you were involved..."

"If I was involved?"

"I might secure a lawyer."

"I need a lawyer because I'm un... I'm under inves—" Happy stuttered and glanced at Peter. "I thought he would—you said, there's no charge. I co-could say that under the advisement of counsel, I refuse to answer the question respectfully because I... the answer could incriminate me."

Happy started rambling, so May had to comfort and calm him down. You stared at Happy in worry. "There's a saying in Goodfellas." Happy ranted. "What did they say in Goodfellas?"

"I know, thats interesting..." May nodded in understanding. "Calm down. Let's hear what he has to say. Matt?"

Matt sighed. "You're gonna need a really good lawyer." He turned to Peter. "Peter, you may have dodged your legal troubles, but things will get much worse. There is still the court of public opinion."

Soon after Matt finished his sentence, someone threw a brick towards the window. "Mysterio forever!" The man shouted as May ducked, Happy shielded his face with his arm, while Peter covered your head with his arm and hand to protect you. Peter's other hand was stretched out to catch the brick, but Matt somehow managed to grab it first.

Peter's eyes widened in bewilderment, and Matt gave him the brick. "How did you just do that?" Peter asked Matt.

"I'm a really good lawyer." Matt smiled.

Peter looked at you, who was quivering in fear, and your hands clutched on each side of your head. "Hey, hey, it's okay. It's over."

"I-It is?"