Chapter 6

THE PERIOD BATH

“Most especially, her beads dazzled when she walked. When she moved it was just there and we watched in fascination.”

And the stories, went on and on for the time being. When the stories ended by late night, the girls walked to the hut. Kuku and Yande spotted some blood on Mwayiseni’s skirt. The two sisters like thieves told their mother that Mwayiseni had started her first period. It took four days for Mwayiseni to understand that what she was experiencing was a period.

Her mother with the help of her aunt explained to her what it was and what she needed to do. She was then sent to live with some bunch of girls, who were having their first period. They lived at a camp for a week; where they were taught about periods, and now what remained was only an initiation period bath.

The morning of the initiation bath arrived, and Mwayiseni could not wait to have her cleansing bath and return home. The girls, started to dance and sing songs. They walked in the forest to the river. An elderly woman had led the group. When they arrived at the river, one at a time the girls started to undress.

Their bodies looked so sexually seductive when they gently pulled down their dresses and pants. When they were all undressed and naked, they danced as they dipped their bodies in the river, as part of the tradition.

******************

The elderly woman, was lamenting and chanting words like. “They have grown! They are virgin keepers! The pride of the land....” Some boys, had hid behind trees and were watching as the girls bathed innocently. Chiti, happened to be passing near the river, when he heard the virgin call. The girls were singing as they bathed in the water.

Their sweet melodious voices just spoke to his heart. He then hid behind a tree and decided to watch. He realized several other boys were pipping, though this was considered a taboo. The boys could not help it but watch in secret. The girls one at a time, moved out of the river with their buttocks shining brightly. The boys began to whisper amongst themselves, they admired the girls so much. They grinned and moaned to themselves, as the girls wore their dresses.

Chiti beamed his eyes on Mwayiseni. The girl looked like she was missing home. She slowly wore her dress, and he felt faint at watching her do that. He thought so many things. He could not believe that he had enjoyed looking at her naked body. Her breasts, were just too sharp and pointed.

Her curves on her buttocks had given her an attractive shape. The river water, trickled on her smooth skin flowing over to her stomach. When the girls all dressed up, the elderly woman knelt down and asked them to peacefully go home. The initiation ceremony had come to an end.

Flee from boys! Fleeeee! Men are lions!” Shouted the elderly woman, at the girls. The girls joyfully walked in the forest to home. Mwayiseni was with a few bunch of girls, when Chiti followed her. He even had the audacity to stop her; if at all this boy was caught by the elderly women of the land, he was going to be severely punished for having stopped a newly initiate. When she stopped walking, the other girls shouted. “What did that woman say? Let us flee! Flee from this boy!” “I just want to talk to you,” begged Chiti, as he stared at Mwayiseni. She glared at him like she had seen a snake.

The other girls continued walking while they bitterly cursed at Chiti. “I cannot believe you are now matured and just got initiated.” He said, to her with caution. She hissed, as she said. “Be quick! I need to get home, besides the other girls have left me I need to caught up with them.”

There was something about his face that just seemed fishy to her. She thought that his face, was far from the word handsome or ugly. But he had an infectious presence that drew one into him. He was like a devil trying to stalk an Angel.

She avoided him as much as she could because she had enough trouble on her plate and she did not need any more trouble. So she proceeded to walk, without letting him speak. He kept on following her, he was dying to talk to her again. “Did I offend you by what I just said?” He asked her, as he stood in front of her.

She stopped walking, as she looked at him as though he had slapped her face. “I think you should go home, and I am not offended. Didn’t your mother warn you not to talk to girls who have had their period bath? Or are you new to this village to not know all this?”

“When can I see you!” He pleaded, with her. Even though he had no vibes, like Katasu, Chiti sounded humble but still he had a devilish tone. She continued walking, and he followed her again like a poacher looking for game. She kept on ignoring him, but like a sly snake he followed her. She stole a quick glance at him and she noticed his smirk smile.

Finally, Mwayiseni stood and yelled. “Have some manners! Grow up ok and go home!” “I live near the river, by which you were having a cleansing bath. Those houses that are a few, and ours is brick red near offices.” ‘Oh so you saw?” She grinned, at him. “Yes! Your naked body dip in the river… Oh no! … I did not!” He stammered.

She looked upset at him, but at the same time she liked how he was all over him. “Alright fine! I will come!” She said, these words as she proceeded to walk. “Will you please come? You promise!” He said, to her as he stood in front of her again. “Fine I promise! I will come your wish is my command!’ She replied, so less interested in him, as she just wanted him to stop bothering her. “Let me walk you home?”

He demanded. “No Please! Out of my way! You are too much!” She yelled, at him. As he admired her, when she walked past him. She stole another glance, as she hurriedly walked and found he still had that smirk husky smile. She then hurriedly ran away as though she had seen a devil in details. “Promise, keep a promise!’ He echoed, his voice at her, as her figure disappeared among the trees.

Thank you for reading and please vote, comment, share, add to reading lists and thank you once again.
*********