XXI: Neighbourhood

"Your sister is really nice," I say as we head towards the grocery shop. Zeke hasn't looked me in the eyes since Beth left and he still looks embarrassed. I don't have siblings but I assume they act like that so he shouldn't feel shy or anything. I really do think they have a great relationship, I wish I could have also an older sibling.

"She's annoying," Zeke mutters. "I won't bring another friend, ever," he adds more to himself but I grab his arm and stop him. He finally looks at me surprised so I smile at him.

"Don't say that. I think it's great that you can joke and tease each other. I'm an only child and it looks so fun to have someone to bicker with," he looks at me as if I went mental and I laugh. "Imagine what it would be to be an only child, with no one to tease you or embarrass you in front of friends," I suggest.

"It would be peaceful," he says but I know he doesn't mean it.

"It would be lonely and I know you are aware of that. It might be embarrassing but I think it's also warm," I conclude and he now smiles kindly at me. "I really think she's fun and I would like you to let me come again."

We only look at each other for a while, my hand still holding his arm and for some reason I feel the air getting thicker, breathing is now a conscious act and even my chest feel tighter.

"You can come whenever you want, I'll just have to make a deal with Beth so she doesn't humiliate me in front of you. Probably slavery in exchange of dignity, you know?" he says and I chuckle, at which he reacts with one of those beautiful smiles that reach his eyes and make them smaller, the kind in which the tip of his tongue gets caught between his front teeth. And his smile makes my stomach feel all tingly inside, like when a lift lowers too fast.

I'm the first to look away because I'm feeling that now familiar heat in my cheeks and I'm not comfortable with the idea of Zeke seeing me like that from so close, and I try to take my hand away from his arm but he grabs it and pull it until my own arm is looped around his. I look at him bewildered and he just keeps smiling at me in that way that makes my heart race. I do feel it beating faster, almost as if it were beating in my throat.

Is this healthy?

"Let's go," he invites and I just nod.

He guides me thorough the streets of his neighbourhood. It looks like a very old place and quiet. You can't find kids playing on the streets and all the people we run into are old people that actually know Zeke and greet him. When we are in the grocery shop an old lady grabs Zeke's other arm to stop him.

"How do you do, Mrs Lee?" Zeke asks with a warm smile patting the hand of the woman.

"Same old, dear. I sent me husband here for some potatoes and milk and ‘course he forgot the milk," she complains and I notice her Scottish accent. "But that's not new. Who's the lovely lass with ye?" she asks in a secretive tone, I blush. "Is she perhaps your girlfriend?"

Why is it so hot out of the sudden?

Zeke laughs and shakes his head. "No, she's just a friend. I'm showing her around," he explains and I use that moment to take my arm out of his hook and make sure to have at least thirty centimetres between us.

"Oh, but don't be a fool and change that, my dear! Look what a lovely lass she is. Remember what Mr Lee always tells you? If you see a fine lass you have to make sure to win her over before someone more clever beats you at that. Are you going to let her go?" I really feel like fanning myself, this is too embarrassing and even Zeke is blushing now, very awkwardly and Mrs Lee laughs out loud. Is she doing this on purpose? "Oh these youngster, always taking long! At your age I was already married!" she exclaims and my eyes widen. "Sweetheart, he’s a wonderful lad, don't let him go. Hold his arm tighter!" she pushes me grabbing my hand and making sure my arm is around his again. She pats our arms in that grandmother-like way you see in films. "That's better." She grins at us with a spark of mischief. "Now I'll leave before Mr Lee thinks I ran away with another man," she laughs and smiles at us one last time before she leaves us. I feel my heart beating so strongly and my cheeks burning, but I don't dare to move.