XXXII: Truth

Who would’ve thought I could keep a secret from my parents? Well, it’s not like it’s hard. As long as I keep studying and without complaints from the headmaster, my parents leave me alone. They have accepted I have friends and I spend time with them, yet I still study so they don’t oppose to that anymore. However, during the first week after my trip with Zeke to London they seemed a bit confused as why I was so happy. Yes, against my better judgment, I couldn’t control myself and my smiles, I was just so happy.

“Allison, are you feeling all right?” Mother asked one day at breakfast and I almost burst out giggling because I was feeling more than all right.

“Yes, Mum. I’m just in a good mood,” which was the complete and utmost truth, so it wasn’t like I was lying or anything like that. “I’m not drinking or consuming any kind of substance that would jeopardise my brain functions or health,” I promised them and their eyes widened in shock but I just chuckled. I knew that they had that fear so I did well at clearing that up. “Just be happy that I’m happy.”

So after that they didn’t question me further as to why I was acting so bubbly and then I got used to be in a relationship. During the first two weeks, being with Zeke was so new and it probably was the fact that I couldn’t believe I was dating someone what made me all smiles. I think no one could believe it, to be honest because the day Zeke decided to give me a back hug when I was looking for my textbooks before Literature, something curious happened.

“Zeke, you startled me!” I said, turning around to be face-to-face with him. I tried to look strict but just one of his sweet and honest smiles and I forgot that, so I smiled back.

“Ready to go to class?” he asked me, completely ignoring everyone else around us. “You think we can sit together? It’s not like Mr Gayle will mind.”

“I’d like that,” I reply standing on my tiptoes to peck his lips. But he held me tighter from my waist and properly kissed me.

A loud clash was heard and that was what made me break the kiss just to notice the many kids staring at us in disbelief, so astonished that on kid actually bumped into the lockers because he couldn’t see where he was walking and that was the loud sound we heard. I blushed and hid in Zeke’s chest.

“They were gonna find out sooner or later,” he whispered, rubbing my back softly. “And it’s not like I was gonna pretend not to be with you for them, right? That’s not me… that’s not us.”

I pulled back just enough to look up and smile at him. “That’s right,” I agreed and he kissed me again before we left for our class.

The rumour spread like wildfire and by the time our class finished everyone looked at us. I mean it, everyone. But Zeke held my hand and we walked with out heads high. They were surprised just because they didn’t know us; if they knew a little bit about us they would react like Sam and say: ‘It was about time.’

And as time keep passing by, Zeke and I get more used to this new stage in our relationship. It’s mostly the same, still being best friends, completely at ease with each other to say whatever we want, but with the perks of what a romantic relationship brings—basically snogging and cuddles. The first two weeks were difficult for Sam because it was like we couldn’t stay apart and she complained a bit—or a lot—, saying that enough was enough, but then smiled and looked away, giving us privacy. She was really happy for us and she just liked teasing us.

By now, we hang out the three of us quite a lot and we still have time like before, but she also gives us time to be just the two of us. And during that time we normally go to the orphanage, or to his house and play with Loki almost all the time. We also visit the homeless people and help them. It’s like Zeke does the same things he did before he met me, but now I go with them and it’s two people helping.