Chapter 7: Turning Tables

"I'm really glad you guys were able to meet up. I feel like it's been ages since we've hung out, just the three of us," Evie smiled, opening a basket full of delicious pastries and snacks.

"It's weird that we no longer say the four of us," Mal said, immediately killing the mood between the three. "Sorry."

Carlos laughed it off as he helped Evie pour some lemonade

Carlos laughed it off as he helped Evie pour some lemonade. It was a beautiful morning and the trio had decided to go for a picnic over the Enchanted Lake. They felt as though they needed to see other and so they did. It was important for them to stick together even though Jay wasn't there anymore.

"It's also nice that we also have a security detail," Evie said sarcastically while she cleared her throat.

"I'm sorry," Mal chuckled. "If I could've ditched them, I would've. They're like hawks, I swear."

"It's okay," Carlos began as he threw a grape into his mouth. "As long as I get to spend time with you guys, I don't care if I have a bunch of mean ol' guys staring at us."

"That's sweet, Carlos," the princess beamed. "Anyways, what's up with your lives? How's being Queen of Auradon treated you so far, Mal?"

"Well, I'm not officially queen yet, but apart from getting free passes to literally anywhere, it's all boring, administrative crap," she sighed as she munched on a tart. "Can't say I don't love it, though. Knowing that I'm working towards a better Auradon, an Auradon that's better for everyone, well, that just makes it all worth it."

"Who would've thought that Mal, daughter of Maleficent, girl from the Isle, feared by all, would be the adored ruler of Auradon?" Carlos scoffed, causing Mal to nudge him in the shoulder. "Who would've thought any of us would be here right now?"

"Definitely not me," Evie snickered to herself. Both Mal and Carlos drew their eyes to the princess, whose eyes widened as soon as she saw the pair staring deep into her soul.

"Something up, E?" The purple-haired pixie asked.

"Nope," the princess mumbled, quickly taking a sip of her mimosa.

"Evie," Carlos called her out while leaning into his chair. "What's wrong?"

"How come I'm always the subject of conversation when we get together?" Evie protested, seemingly confirming that something was indeed wrong.

"Cut it out, E! Just tell us what's wrong!" Said Mal, growing impatient with her best friend.

"I may have organized this whole date to ask you guys for advice," she whispered while sinking into her chair.

"Advice on...?" Carlos continued her sentence.

"I hate to say it but I think I'm stuck in a love triangle," Evie said quite quickly, making the other two share confused looks.