Chapter 5: Home

"I can't believe you're kidnapping me," Evie said as Harry held her hand as they walked over the bridge connecting the Isle to Auradon. "I thought you meant taking me back to the Isle as some sort of metaphor, not actually taking me back to the Isle."

"We're just gonna take a walk, that's all," he smiled looking back at the princess who was practically being dragged by him.

"You know I have to wake up early tomorrow! I can't be out too late!" She protested much to the pirate's dismay.

"Relax, princess. I'll have ye home by midnight," he shot a wink at her as they both finally set foot on the Isle.

Most of the Isle was under major reconstruction. Evie and Ben had hired various architects and contractors to design a new and improved Isle, maintaining the grunge aesthetic but introducing modern aspects to it. It was safe to say that the Isle was now going to be habitable to both Auradonians and the people who lived on the Isle beforehand.

"Fine, you got me here," the princess surrendered as she walked beside Harry down the road leading to the town square. She noticed how the road had no holes in it anymore and how the shops along the main street were refurbished. She noticed the lampposts brightly lit and newly planted trees adorning the sidewalks. Evie could barely recognize her once decaying home but somehow she could. She could still see the Isle even though so much had changed. The one thing that made her stop in awe as the sight of kids running around with smiles on their faces, while adults chatted in small restaurants. The misery that once loomed over the Isle was now gone as if the barrier had let it out once it was brought down. It was as if all the people were trapped with misery and gloom and were now suddenly hopeful and kind. Evie had never realized just how imprisoned these people felt, and to be completely free had made them change their whole lives.

"Speechless?" Harry mumbled, snapping Evie back to reality

"Speechless?" Harry mumbled, snapping Evie back to reality. "Shocked?"

"Both," she scoffed. "I hadn't been here in a month and to see how everything's changed, it's just—"

"Jaw-dropping," Harry finished her sentence though not quite using the same word she had in mind but using the same feeling.

"Exactly," she smiled, locking her eyes with his before looking somewhere else. They sat down in the working fountain in the middle of the square and watched as the environment became more and more lively as time passed.

"Y'know, princess, my dad's shop is still standing amidst all this reconstruction. Mind if we head that way?"

The princess nodded and they hopped off the fountain's ledge and headed towards the docks where Harry once harbored the princess for her own safety. As the pair walked down the cobblestone streets, they reminisced about all the fights that had gone down between their gangs and all the ploys carried out. They both laughed wholeheartedly when thinking back on how clueless both Mal and Uma were when the pair first started hooking up behind their backs.