Chapter 1: Once Upon A Dream

Auradon had entered a new era ever since Mal brought down the barrier keeping the Isle of the Lost separate from the glistening shores of the fairytale kingdom. It was the dawn of an age of unity and harmony between heroes and the so-called villains. It was an imperfectly perfect society, where kids from the Isle had the same opportunities as kids from Auradon. Where the major villains entered a stage of redemption and received rehabilitation to give up their evil ways in favor of a more stable lifestyle. Where the Isle of the Lost received extensive refurbishment and was transformed from a gloomy and decaying town to a bustling urban scene which honed its roots and showcased its unique culture.

Where anyone, no matter which side of the barrier they came from, had a chance to find true happiness and all the resources they needed to find it.

While many stayed on the Isle, many crossed over to Auradon and were gifted with sustainable housing and new job opportunities. VK's either were accepted into Auradon Prep or applied to the various universities that were spread across the country. Some who were still trying to find their way were offered various means of encouragement. Activities and public talks were held at the newly founded Mystic District in Auradon City, where most of the Isle's inhabitants settled down in.

All of these special affairs were led by Mal and Evie, who was still working as an advisor to King Ben, with her main focus being on establishing a strong foundation between those who came from the Isle and the Auradonians. She spent most of her time either in her starter castle or at Ben's castle where she often had meetings with him to further discuss various propositions.

For all of this to be accomplished in a month, the Fairy Godmother allowed magic to be used in order to quickly accommodate the incoming migrants from the Isle and make them feel as home as possible. However, this was for a short period only as Ben wanted to honor his father's stance on the use of magic, for he believed new generations needed to learn not to be too dependent on magic.

Villains such as Jafar, Cruella De Vil, the Evil Queen, Ursula, and many more, were checked into state-of-the-art rehabilitation centers where they were encouraged to let go of their innate evilness and to embrace the good side, not only for themselves but for their children as well. Most of them were happy to comply as long as they never had to go back to the conditions they suffered on the Isle. Others were just too tired and old to commit evil acts so they accepted redemption.

Even though so much had been accomplished in a month, there was still a long way to go before Auradon achieved peace and harmony amongst all its people. Many were in favor of the barrier being brought down while others were adamant that it was necessary for the perpetual safety of Auradon.

"I'm glad the first month has gone so well," Ben remarked, closing a binder which held various reports and handing it to Evie. "All thanks to you, of course."

"This was a team effort, Ben," the princess smiled. "Give yourself at least twenty percent of the credit."

Ben laughed wholeheartedly as they both stood up from his desk and headed out of his office. As he opened the door for her, they were greeted by Mal.

"Have you guys been in there all along?" Mal scoffed, taking Evie by the arm. "I've been looking for you everywhere," she said as she dragged Evie away from Ben.

"I'll catch up with you next week!" Evie shouted as she waved Ben goodbye before turning the corner. "Mal, what did you need me so badly for?"

"Jay's leaving for college next week and I wanted to organize him some sort of party, you know," Mal paused, looking down to hide the pools of tears swelling in her eyes, "just the four of us, the way things used to be."