Prologue

It happened years ago. The outbreak was all anyone could talk about. The story says that it started in America. A scientist was trying to make a serum to control people. One day the serum exploded creating a gas that spread over towns one by one infecting people.

The gas didn't seem to do anything at first. The government quickly quarantined the towns. Only to find that the people were either sick or passed out.

The government treated all of the sick people and brought the others to hospitals. It seemed like everyone was healed and happy a few days later so they quarantined them and left.

What they didn't know is that was worst was yet to come. The people's DNA had somehow been altered by the toxin. It brought out a different side of people. It made them into murderous animals. They are faster and stronger. The name given to these creatures was Rotters.

The outbreak started around 60 years ago. There is still no cure and no hope that anyone will ever find one.

-----

There are three major groups in Japan. The biggest is called UA, the second biggest is called the League of Villians. The last one is an underground gang that has no name but the worst one of them all.

The League of Villians is a misfits gang. It is a place for Infecteds to go.

Infecteds are special. They were infected by Rotters but didn't turn into one. So the murderous urges are lesser for them. The gene for Infecteds is a dominant hereditary gene but if an Infected has a kid their kid is an Infected too.

Ua like most groups is made up of exclusively survivors. It is a public gang meaning that anyone can join. It got to be so popular a gang that they only have one day a year for people to try out.

Kids have to wait until they are sixteen to try out for UA. Some kids try to wait until they are seventeen but the older you get the less chance you have of getting in. Some adults try to stop kids from trying out because "they are children and shouldn't have to grow up like this." But the survival rate of people in UA is too high for many kids to not go.

This is the cruel reality of the apocalypse.