CHAPTER 31 - part2 - HOME, DREAM AND A VISITOR

CHAPTER 57 HOME, DREAM AND A VISITOR

Indu was eagerly expecting the arrival of her son since morning. But the flight, which was scheduled at five, took off only by ten in the morning and Mohan arrived just in time for lunch. While her husband kept his welcome limited to perfunctory enquiries, she showered him with a mother's concern and scrutinised him from head to toe. Unsurprisingly, she didn't like what she saw.

"You've become skinny, Monu! Don't they feed you anything decent there? And why don't you shave and quit looking like a caveman? And what is it with these baggy clothes? You look like you've aged six years in six months!" Indu couldn't stop articulating her disapproval of her young son's shabby appearance.

No mother could control if her well-bred, well-dressed child turned up like this after six months. Mohan as always, shrugged off her disapproval saying it was a part of his job. What job required him to look shabby, she didn't ask; her child has come home, that was enough for now. She noted happily that he ate everything she has prepared; after all, they were his favourite dishes. As he got up, she noticed his drooping eyelids and led him to his bedroom.

"Now just sleep. I'll call you for tea." She ordered and pushed him inside. His lack of protest showed how much tired he was. Dropping his bag at the foot of his bed, he fell into the bed without further ado.

Indu switched on the ceiling fan and opened the window curtains, letting in the breeze. She removed the jacket of her unprotesting son and made him lie properly on the bed. His eyes were closed and expression grave. She sat on the bed near him and her eyes feasted on the sight of her son slipping into peaceful sleep.

He may have changed quite a bit, but before I leave, I'll change him back.

She decided determinedly and lovingly swept back his hair (which had grown considerably). After lingering for a few more seconds, she left the room to take some rest herself.

The sight that greeted her as she came to the kitchen to prepare evening tea was that of Mohan, freshly showered and fully dressed to go out, drinking water from the jug.

"Why are you drinking water now, Monu? I'll make tea in two minutes." She grabbed the jug and placed it down.

"I have to go to the office now Ma and submit my report before Prateek Sir goes home." He replied as he strode to the living room.

"So, your current project is over?" Indu asked hopefully as she followed him out.

"No, but it is definitely past half-way." Mohan replied as he took his bike's key from its place on the wall. Indu halted as she realised what will happen next.

Ah! Now starts the whine about how no one took care of his precious bike. I better get in before he notices its condition.

Just then, Arvind called her in as if he had read her mind. She closed the front door behind Mohan with an order not to forget helmet and hurried off to her husband without a backward glance.

                             *************************

It was pretty late by the time Mohan's meeting with Prateek finished as Prateek wanted to clear everything till date before going on a long wedding leave. His mother served him dinner as soon as he reached after the usual chiding for not coming home on time at night. After dinner, he took a bath in warm water and prepared a cup of tea for himself (taking care not to rouse his tired mother) and returned to his room.