PHASE IV : CHAPTER 48 - part1 - THE FLAME TEST

PHASE IV 

CHAPTER 75 THE FLAME TEST

Spring arrived in all its glory that year too, coaxing every plant and tree to come out of winter's blanket, to yield multicoloured blossoms. It visited Vyas Nivas also and kept the elderly couple company as their children were away. As Ved went about doing the routine of watering the plants one day, he couldn't help worrying when the winter in his daughter's life would end.  

It had been almost two weeks since Prerna's marriage. Mohan had returned home just a few weeks ago. Megha didn't seem much perturbed by it (or may be she was more adept in hiding her feelings) but that was not the same for Nanhi: she was distraught. Fortunately, Mohan too seemed to have an equal liking for the girl and promised her to call once a week for sure. And he did keep his word till date. What intrigued Ved was the fact he learned the previous day from Nanhi: Megha was no longer talking to Mohan! Whenever his call came, she would silently pass it over to Nanhi.  

Are they really just friends? If that is so, then why are they not in speaking terms all of a sudden? Did something happen between them? 

Ved didn't have answers to any of the questions, but he was determined to find them. Just after breakfast, they had an unexpected guest; one of Vidya's distant cousins. She had come seeking Megha's hand in marriage to her son. Vidya was excited and was about to promise, but Ved stopped. He convinced her that they were about to make a visit to their daughter the next day itself and would contact her after they reach. Vidya didn't go over his words in her presence, but as soon as she left, the questions began. Having no other option, Ved shared his concern regarding Mohan and Megha with Vidya. She didn't think the matter had any connection with the marriage proposal. Nevertheless, she agreed they should pay a visit to her and talk to her face to face rather than over the phone. It would prevent their daughter from avoiding marriage talks with the usual alibi of work. 

Megha welcomed them as usual and seemed to be perfectly all right till her mother put forth the matter they had come to discuss. She adamantly refused to even listen to them. Sensing Vidya would lose her temper any moment, Ved intervened. 

"Do you like anyone particular, Megha? You know you can tell us, don't you?" He calmly asked, sitting beside her. 

Megha looked up at them stunned.  

"Was there anything between you and Mohan?" He asked again. "I promise I wouldn't judge you till I properly understand the situation. Don't fear, Megha. Tell us." He assured. 

Megha considered them for a while and finally, with a defeated sigh, she admitted that she did have some feelings for Mohan. But whether it was strong enough, she didn't know. It was to test its strength that the two were trying to stay out of contact. Vidya scorned the idea and felt sure Mohan would bent if his family pressurises and marry someone else in five months. She wanted Megha to call Mohan soon and end their self-imposed exile from each other's lives as soon as possible. But Ved supported his daughter and agreed to wait for five months. Convincing his wife was difficult, but Ved did it somehow. After assuring Megha that there would be no marriage talk for five months, they returned home. 

The next day, Mohan's story was published in the newspaper, creating a furore in Megha's campus. She called them that evening, assuring she and Nanhi were fine. The police enquiry was going on. The culprits were caught and several students were shifted to the rehabilitation centre. It was indeed a shameful incident for the university and the officials were trying their best to cover it all up. Megha cheerfully explained how her colleagues were praising the journalist for the meticulous research he had done, not realising that he was in fact their gardener for a whole semester.  

"Did you congratulate him, Megha?" Ved asked, curious. 

"Nanhi did." She replied in a subdued tone. Soon, she excused herself and cut the call. 

She misses him more than she would admit. I just hope she realises it soon before this flame test create any burns. Ved thought pensively. 

"Why are you letting her waste five months? Tell her to call him, won't you?" Vidya requested. 

"No, Vidya. This is something both of them need to realise on their own. Let them take their time." Ved replied the umpteenth time.  

"I just hope you'll be proved right." Vidya sighed. 

"I know I will be." Ved replied confidently. 

************* 

Spring soon gave way to summer. As she was not a part of any project in the department this time, Megha opted to go home with Nanhi. Moreover, she was yearning for a break from the sights and smells that reminded her of Mohan so as to think more clearly. The rose bushes which were growing quite healthy and the special night queen in her little garden, the summer rain that came unexpectedly rousing common kraits from their holes, a fleck of mud on her white dupatta, the library shelves that held Enid Blyton, the path in front of her quarters studded with incandescent lamps at night, Nanhi's Rapunzel movie, the bedspreads on the downstairs bed room.... memories were many in the campus. 

Time went at a snail's pace at her parent's home and Megha was finding it suffocating, quite contrary to her expectations. It was in such dire condition that she called Prerna. She was not at all surprised by the fact that Mohan proposed to her. But she was indeed bothered by the way he did and more, by the reply she gave him. 

"He proposed to you when you were half asleep after a tiresome journey? That too at the railway station? And you convinced him to wait for five months? Oh, where is your taste for romance, I wonder!" Prerna couldn't see the beauty in the simplicity of their relation. 

Megha was actually the least perturbed about such things. For her, no time was perfect other than that night under the stars, just after she had conquered one of her fears and no words were needed when his eyes conveyed his feelings much better. She was only worried about her feelings and whether she deserved him.  

It was difficult to make Prerna see the sense, but Megha succeeded finally. The two friends bounced ideas for several days and Megha's thought began clearing. However, the talks with Prerna soon had to stop as she was going on a much deserved trip with Prateek for two weeks. 

Thankfully, Mahi came home just before Megha could go mad and livened up the place along with Nanhi. He played the usual pranks and teased her day and night about Mohan. She would act as if she were offended and would even put up a fight with him, but deep down, she found it liberating.  

As the days went by, she found herself falling deeper for Mohan; the stranger who understood her fears and insecurities and stood by her side to fight them, the partner who loved Nanhi probably as much as she did, the man whose eyes held the promise of a well-loved life ahead. Now that she discovered her feelings, she fervently hoped Mohan's feelings to be intact. 

Two weeks prior to the day their self-imposed exile ended, a message came to her mobile from Mohan. 

Ma, Bhayya and Bhabhi are returning with little Aditya in a week. A party is arranged here marking his second birthday on the same date we would be free of our promise. I, in fact every one, would like it if you and your family could attend the event, Megha. Make Mahi call me back if you are coming. I would explain the arrangements to him in detail. If not, a message would suffice.  

Megha's heart soared on seeing the message. She informed Mahi first. The two of them together broke the news to their parents. They had no objection as they would be getting a chance to visit Mahi's campus also, something they were planning to do soon anyway.  

Relieved, Mahi dialled Mohan's number and he took the call immediately, as if he were expecting it. As the two discussed travel options, Megha slowly slipped to her room. She opened her cupboard and carefully took out one of her favourite dresses, the one Nanhi and Mahi got her with Mohan's help. 

"I'll see you soon, Mohan, and let you know how important you have become for me." She whispered with a smile, caressing the beautiful yellow silk. 

***************